great time for sturgeon fishing

SEA-OWL

hey just thought id keep some info going for people stuck in the city.

The shore sturgeon fishing is super hot right now, popped out last night with the pooch for 2 hours and got 3 juveniles and a nice 4 footer. talked to a few other buddy's who been working the river well i was gone and there all having great success all over the river.

its a great cheap fishery to do.

USER0686.jpg
USER0688.jpg
IMG_1998.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Niiiice!

Great little outing.

Take care.

slipped out for a late afternoon and night fish with a buddy this weekend. got about a dozen or so over 7 or 8 hours. heres a couple of the shots

IMG_2024.jpg

IMG_2026.jpg

IMG_2028.jpg

IMG_2030.jpg

IMG_2031.jpg

IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg

i know most people are going to be about the sockeye atm, but fishing is hot for sturgeon. pulled two more nice ones and lost about a real monster on a snag

10498554_10152235003726120_2199058345063999577_o.jpg

USER0689.jpg

much appreciated

the biggest was about 7ft took about hr and a 1/2. that 6ft one only took maybe 30min or so

met you the other night in the donair place on 12th st

you were not kidding about the sturgeon from shore

Im definitely gonna have to find where to get me some eels

tightlines

Dale

How do you like using a spinning reel for casting that big of a weight (I am using a 16oz personally, maybe a bit big for right now)? I have an Avenger 80 Okuma reel thinking I could do better in terms of distance, however now thinking I should've went with a baitcaster like a TLD or 320 just due to the logistics of casting that heavy of a weight way out there. I suppose I also went with a spinner for surf casting if I ever travel somewhere with it - it's a little more versatile...

Really glad you posted this up though, made me spend more money on fishing!

Well... To update this thread, I suppose. Third time out trying to sturgeon fish from shore tonight. I really thought this was going to be cheap to do... So far I've managed to just snag and lose my gear. Tried multiple spots, including Derby Reach, and closer to the Port Mann even, just snags! Very frustrating as it is a surprising learning curve, even when set up properly with the right gear you apparently aren't doing jack if you don't have a decent spot. I feel bad as I am sure there are enough weights and garbage stuck on the bottom, I'd really like to find a spot where it's actually fishable.

... I am getting pretty discouraged, maybe should just stick to what I am really good at, salmon fishing on the chuck! I decided to pick this up as a weekday night kinda thing as I only get a chance at salmon on weekends. Was never much of a caster/river/bar fisher before (at all), but I am using a 12' ugly Stik, Big spinning reel, slider with beads and a 16oz pyramid weight, 2' dacron leader. Which is right I hope.

Definitely looking forward to getting some Salmon this weekend now (even if it is slow)! Maybe 4th time will be the charm for Sturgeon, I know a pier I am going to try out east.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try using less weight and remember you don't always have to cast that far.

I wouldn't use Dacron for leader too sensitive to abrasion-try 130# Spectra instead.

Back