Grant's Reef - shallow report

S

SIR

Did a little solo prospecting out on Grant's Reef yesterday. Normally I fish the West side on the 180' contour close to bottom. As a bit of an experiment I tried more towards the top of the reef between 100-120'. Not one of my better experiments.... picked up a small Coho an 8# Spring and two wee ones. Back to deep on the next trip out.

Couldn't fish the south end by the can due to heavy weed but the rest of the outside edge was clear. No birds, no seals and no bait on the sounder (but my sounder is really pooched so I'm not sure it would pick up a bait return even if it was there - drive faster with my new sounder Mr UPS guy)

Was using Tiger Prawn glow hootchies with 48" tails and my standard black flashers with one rigger set to 80 and one at 120.

One new learning was that if you happen to use the Canadian Tire herring/anchovy pastes inside your hootchies make sure you rinse them REALLY WELL before putting them away. It seems that if you leave any residue on the skirts it makes them stiffen up and go hard so your skirt looses all it's action.... 2 or 3 trips out and they are unusable.... but I'm going to keep using the paste anyways :D

sir, do you make your own black flashers? I have a couple hot spots with worn out stickers I might try painting black. I have not heard of anyone using black, except in one other post in a forum. I would like to hear any ideas you have about black flashers.

So when ya spray those flashers do you tape off the "reflective tape part" or just spray the whole thing?

Thanks

Spray everything except your beaded swivels.

Probably easier just to buy black flashers if you can find them.... but no one locally carries them and I can buy used flashers for next to nothing... and when the paint scuffs off I just paint em again.

If anyone trys them let us know how they work for you.

Caveat - have not really experimented with them shallower than 120', usually I'm fishing 160-190'.

Back