Grady White 208

SpringVelocity

Crew Member
Just need some opinions as someone who has had one. Looking at options for upgrade next year. May try to get one in the USA and bring up here.

Pros and cons.

It won't be far offshore. Right now I am running a 185 Malibu but need a bit more room.

Would be nice to get one with the bracket, lots more deck space than the motor well.

I have the 228G with the bracket and closed transom, I lose some space with the rear seats and bait well. I originally was going to buy a 208 but didn’t like the flip down door to raise the outboard and the open transom, I don’t think it would work well on the west coast with a following sea. Just my 2 cents.

I have one and and i love it. Great boat for the west coast as well as the east side of the island. Hull design is amazing, feels like you are riding on a giant shock absorber. Easy to haul and launch solo and has a roomy cuddy. Not alot of room in between the front seats if you are consistently going from helm to the back of the boat.....thats my only downside to the boat.

I've had mine for a year now. I've been offshore Bamfield and felt it handled quite well for the size. Ran in 2' tight chop and 5' swells and felt comfortable. Obviously a bigger boat will handle better but I think it does fine for the size. It is tight getting between the helm seats and the cuddy is smallish. I just did a overnight with my wife and 4 year old. We fit. It was a bit tight. At 6' I can stretch out completely. Would be fine for 2 adults. My dodge 1500 tows it fine. Feel like the 228/226 would be nice as well but would be a little tougher to tow and launch. I have the v6 200. 4000 rpm 27 mph. 8 gph. With the kicker and a full tank it's a little butt heavy and the scuppers can let a bit of water in if you stand in the back corners. I just plug them.

Great boat. Don't think you can go wrong.

I have the 228G with the bracket and closed transom, I lose some space with the rear seats and bait well. I originally was going to buy a 208 but didn’t like the flip down door to raise the outboard and the open transom, I don’t think it would work well on the west coast with a following sea. Just my 2 cents.
I added beefed up clamps to the flip down. It's pretty solid. No issue with water coming when trolling in a 5 to 6 foot swell. It is a bit of pain remembering to flip it down.

The 208 must be popular and a good seller as well as Grady has discontinued the 226/228 models in favour of the 208 and 232 models.

Interesting good point.... Although with this I would probably be looking at making it self bailing. Didn't know about flip down door.

Interesting good point.... Although with this I would probably be looking at making it self bailing. Didn't know about flip down door.
the deck is already self bailing the flip down door is a non issue.......u just need to be carefull when you tilt the engine because it touches the flip down door.

I've had mine for a year now. I've been offshore Bamfield and felt it handled quite well for the size. Ran in 2' tight chop and 5' swells and felt comfortable. Obviously a bigger boat will handle better but I think it does fine for the size. It is tight getting between the helm seats and the cuddy is smallish. I just did a overnight with my wife and 4 year old. We fit. It was a bit tight. At 6' I can stretch out completely. Would be fine for 2 adults. My dodge 1500 tows it fine. Feel like the 228/226 would be nice as well but would be a little tougher to tow and launch. I have the v6 200. 4000 rpm 27 mph. 8 gph. With the kicker and a full tank it's a little butt heavy and the scuppers can let a bit of water in if you stand in the back corners. I just plug them.

Great boat. Don't think you can go wrong.

Did you bring yours up through the USA?? Seems like there is more too choose from down there.

Sure lose a lot of dance floor on the 228 with those seats and fish locker. It’s not bad though

Did you look at the one at Parksville Boathouse? It’s a 2000.

It's 60k. Way outside what I want to spend. I am going to import one. That's plan anyway.

Second option is new motors and pod current boat Malibu 185. Once I added that conversion up I am at least 30k. I am not sold on that move yet.

Sure lose a lot of dance floor on the 228 with those seats and fish locker. It’s not bad though
In the 228, the 2 batteries, wash down pump, fuel filter, battery selector switch and fuel tank selector are under the back seats. The bilge and pumps are directly under the bait well which does have a bait cutting boat on the lid. I use the bait well for my cannon balls and other storage which is handy. There is almost 6 ft of dance floor between the rear facing seats and the bait well, lots of deck space. The insulated fish lockers and cooler are under the seats forward of the dance floor.

Last edited:
Back