gorge herring

tubbed out

anyone do the gorge herring thing ????? A guide buddy of mine used to run a whole gorge herring in NootkaOnce in a while I rember doing it in sooke .

So I get a bucket of these things ,,, now what

????????????

I like the idea of free bait ...

I've seen guys out fishing for these on the bridge. How do you catch them though. What do you use for bait?

Highliner

How long do frozen herring last in the freezer? Do you guys catch them and then brine them right away before putting them in the freezer for the season ahead? I don't have much experience with preparing baits. Also, what is the window for catching the herring?

Thanks.

I bring em in off the bridge at Admirals Road and vacum seal them. They last all season; freeze them on cookie sheets and then vacum seal them so they dont stick together and lose scales.

Anywhere from 5-10 inches, average of 6-7 i guess. Great for cut plug,crab bait and halibut.

Victoriaboater

Do you brine the herring before vacumm packing, or do you brine the fish closer to when you're going to use them?

Highliner

They really dont work well as cut plug material there bellys are so streched from there roe, and sperm that its too thin but they work well as whole bait for halibut and i dont brine them use em as is.

Good luck Wolf

I use them whole and brined, mostly the larger herring, with large teaser heads,double rigged hooks, some times with a treble. Mainly off shore when the springs are feedimg on pilchard. I use a tool,small nail in a piece of dowel, I made, to punch the hole through the tuff snout then push the tooth pick through. Nice slow roll it's killer.

I agree thay are good for halis but not good for cut pluging.too thin!

tubbedout, I would try em whole, head-on, on a three singles set-up with the front hook through the nose, down between the eyes and out the bottom of the mouth. Tried it once this summer. Totally tubbed-out on dogfish, so switched to rubber, but am looking forward to next meat draw. Someone else told me they ran similar setup with the front hook up through the bottom of the mouth and out the top, but I have not tried it yet. I was amazed at the nice rolls I got without dicking around at all. I think the key to the roll is not to try to center the tow hook too carefully.

Are these herring too big for Salmon around here? No one has mentioned using them for Salmon in a teaser head.

Highliner

Sorry Brokenrod,

I missed your comment. Anyone else? I will have to catch some this spring and try for myself.

Back