Gopro downrigger cam

Still need the memory card as it won't download through wireless. It's also not your typical SD card it's a micro.
sorry I might be wrong but I thought on the new ones you could download the footage wirelessly once the cam was out of the water. I do have to agree with sir-vivor! fish>drink>watch video when back home....but it would be pretty cool to use the GPS + gopro to map out these trenches and other structure while on the water.

you can monitor and setup the video with your smartphone but cant record there. HD video records to the SD card

gopro u/w

Interesting experimenting. Putting the gopro down while trolling shallow like that looks sketchy....potentially a $300 mistake, should it go wrong. :-(

Hourston/Hindsight did a bunch of gopro experimenting last spring, putting it down deep on a halibut rig, and got footage of hooking one up. I am helping him post his footage to youtube, will pass along the link when uploaded. It's pretty dark down there when the camera points down. There's one shot of something that looks BIG just at the edge of the camera sight....a shadow? Or a big momma checking what's on offer? It disappeared back into the shadows, so we'll never know...can just imagine.

Interesting experimenting. Putting the gopro down while trolling shallow like that looks sketchy....potentially a $300 mistake, should it go wrong. :-(

Hourston/Hindsight did a bunch of gopro experimenting last spring, putting it down deep on a halibut rig, and got footage of hooking one up. I am helping him post his footage to youtube, will pass along the link when uploaded. It's pretty dark down there when the camera points down. There's one shot of something that looks BIG just at the edge of the camera sight....a shadow? Or a big momma checking what's on offer? It disappeared back into the shadows, so we'll never know...can just imagine.

Look forward to the vid, I got a new gopro silver and have made several attachments for underwater filming out of ABS, hope to get a lot of footage up at Bamfield this season and the post once I figure out how to do it ,probably over next winter . so really interesed in seeing what you guys do , good luck and lets see eh !

Here's the gopro halibut footage from Hindsight Fishing. The first one gets away, but notice at 0:28 there's something BIG lurking just out of sight in the background. The 2nd one sticks.
[bV1tnx90QHY] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV1tnx90QHY

Some cojones in dropping your expensive camera to the depths....attaboy.

This thread is is fricken awesome! Now I have to go buy a go pro! I want to set it up for plug fishing shallow in August. Watching all the big hogs follow and hit as well as trolling through big pilchard balls!

That was pretty awesome! In surprised at what you can here. Especially everytime the line is reeled in.

yeah, the sound transmission surprised me too. I can't remember depth, but pretty sure it is 200' plus. And the clicking of the reel sounds like it is right there beside the camera. Remember those tin can and string telephones you made as a kid? Same principle.

Anyways, makes me wonder how much of an issue sound transmission might be. Halibut are not particularly shy fish, if there's a meal, they will take it. But salmon and others easily spooked? Hmm.

That's another interesting part of this underwater footage....cool to see, but might actually learn something too (like those old Charlie White videos back in the day)

Before you run out and buy a go-pro read this...
http://www.scubadiverinfo.com/3_cameras_gopro_hero2.html
if you want image that is in focus , it will not happen with a stock go pro underwater housing with dome glass ,
for around 40-120 dollars you can buy a adaptor and get rid of the dome that causes the blur.
NOt sure if the new hero 3 still has the dome on the underwater housing or if they solved the problem and went flat.?
I have the hero 2 and am ordering a adaptor.....

looks great !we have been tinkering with some footage for the past few years and have also adapted our go pro to use on a 14 ft pole but this is way better I will definitely try this out

Yes, the Hero3 housing is now flat.

thats good news , hope that solved the problem.
I got some very out of focus crabs trying to get into my prawn trap.
If anyone has the after market go-pro flat front case, where did u get it and did it solve problem?

Future shop sells new gopro product. They also carry a bunch of accessories. You may find one there, but I didn't notice. Im sure they could order one in for you.

Back