Gopro downrigger cam

fortyfour

Here's a couple photos of the new downrigger cam waterproof up to 180ft. It was too easy to build. One 1/4" bolt with 2 washers and a locknut. Bolts right through the existing camera housing and through the extra eyelet on the fin of the downrigger ball. Have already filmed some epic footage of chinook on the bottom in 100ft of water following the flasher/setup as well as actual strikes and hook-ups. Crystal clear hi-def footage quite bright down there too even on a cloudy day at 100ft bouncing bottom. I have mapped out striated sandstone structure covered in sea floor life. You can even make out 2 larger chinook come up from the trenches to check out the gear roll by. Also great footage on the surface when the downrigger is brought up to just above the surface and you are netting the fish beside the boat. I will be editing the videos and posting them on you-tube as I make them. Ill post a link when their up.

Cheers,

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 5978

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 5,887
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 5,020
Last edited by a moderator:
Looks awesome! Kinda wish I bought one now but I'm not sure if I would trust myself to dump it over the side. I deffinetly wouldn't be dragging it along the bottom! You'll get some amazing footage in the summer but it sounds like your getting some already.

yeah its a bit scary to be bouncing the bottom with a $300 cannon ball.. It will be interesting to see in the spring how much of a difference the freshet will make for light and clarity. Right now the water is as clear as it gets.

Maybe run an extra safety line on the camera made out of spectra or the like. I'd be concerned where I drop my riggers with that on. Just my view. Great idea though. "A" for effort.

well done let's get that video footage to you tube......
so we can all see

one way to make sure your gear is working....lol

how far back can the flasher hook-set up be before the go pro can't see it

and i suppose even closer if you can get to the release clip????

With a flasher/ hootchy, 48" release clip and a 4ft drop back from the clip to flasher things are highly visible. The short drop back hasn't negatively effected performance or attention from fish either as far as I can tell so far with a few days of playin around. That 20 lber from the other day hit the gear behind the cam what must have been only 5 or so min after the battery died :mad: a fully charged battery will last 2 hrs and a 8G memory card will hold over 2hrs of footage. I have a second battery also so Im able to get 4hrs of footage/day at this point. would like to get one of their new ones as mine is one of the older models that they have hugely improved on now.

Great innovation. Where's some footage?!....Oh just saw the link is in process. I see a number of possibilities for this setup. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by a moderator:
just waiting for some rough editing as I cant do it myself on my personal computer. The videos so far are all roughly 60 min with maybe 2-5min worth watching. should be a link posted here by weeks end.

cheers,

hey fortyfour whats the memory cards the go pro uses
are they the same as the cell phones the compact TF flash cards ???

The model I have is over a year old and takes the standard SD cards. I use 8G ones as the battery will die just before the card is full aprox 2hrs. I bought an extra battery so I can swap the card and battery then film another 2hrs.

my nephew got one of these free through the company he works for, he already has two others. he said he is giving it too me along with some instructions on how to use it. :) nice guy who uses his for all sorts of video work. i have watched some videos on Utube of crab pots, amazing to say the least. i will look forward to seeing your's when you get them posted

Awesome! I am stoked to see the footage. My roommate just got a gopro hero 3 today......i doubt he would let me use it for that though!

You have to make sure you clean the seal after every salt water dunking. If any salt remains it can cause it to leak.

You have to make sure you clean the seal after every salt water dunking. If any salt remains it can cause it to leak.

Hasn't been an issue. Its been down on the bottom in 100ft of water a half dozen times for probably a total of 5 or 6 hrs and has zero salt build up in the seal. The seal actually seals and no water gets into the seal.

i must say that i am surprised that you found enough light at that depth to produce any video. i have seen some crab pot videos but they have only been in about 40' of water.

Back