Good Tip

Time

I thought I'd start a new thread looking for a good tip you got off the board this year.
The tip could do with fishing, boating, recipe, or drinking, your choice to nominate but it should be something you have tried and adopted as part of your arsenal. Lord knows there is enough info and advice given on the board.

For me, it was a small thing, but which has improved the experience. Wolf (Roy) uses a similar connection between the main and kicker as I do ( a Panther style connector between two pivots), his suggestion was to use a short piece of fuel line on the nub to stop the noisy vibration that occurs at the connecting points. Didn't have any fuel line, but clear PVC tubing works as well. Much quieter, much more pleasant. Thanks Roy. I may not catch any more fish, but it's a lot more pleasant.

As I said, it doesn't have to be a big thing.
Feel free to add.

Kelly I wonder if that Bong would work with another kind of Lettuce LMAO!

Hey NO problem Time thats what I really like about this place there is a wealth of knowledge here and any bit I can help from learning good and bad mistakes is good.

wolf

With this crappy azz weather we get to experience this time o' year (combined with that liquid salt goo that they feel the need to spew all over our roads)

If you haven't used any of the rainX wiper fluids before..... I suggest you give them a whirl...... I use nothing but

With this crappy azz weather we get to experience this time o' year (combined with that liquid salt goo that they feel the need to spew all over our roads)

If you haven't used any of the rainX wiper fluids before..... I suggest you give them a whirl...... I use nothing but
x2 works great.
i also put it on the boat windows.

Get a non-skid wax for your floors, makes hosing off blood and guts a breeze.

Being newly back to salt water fishing, this forum is loaded with tips and info. Learning new tricks and tips every day that I read through the info on here. Just got my latest tip right here on this thread (I already knew about the yellow snow one HA ha :p), cork on the downrigger clip line, perfect, lost 5 this year (2 on the electric down rigger coming up, somehow 3 others over-board, not clipped or something, went to reach for it to set fishing line, and clip gone???) Maybe with a cork some of them would last on the boat long enough to have to replace the gripper shoes on them LOL. Good tip!.

I wonder how many clips I wouldn't have had to buy had I learned that tip years ago.

I vote that as my Number One so far.

Gonna rig them up tomorrow.

Weight and float set ups for river fishing. Rust removal off appolstery. Plus a ton of stuff I wasn't specifically looking for.

Spray foam in net handle, felt markers for pilchardising spoons and plugs, dummy flashers only in Ukee, Williamson butterfly jigs for coho while Hali fishing, 9" homemade "ace-hi" flies (mixed tinsels tied on a tube and stuffed in a purple haze or other hootchie), more herring less anchovy offshore if you really have to use bait.

Time and or Wolf: I have the same sterring connection and the rattle drives me crazy!

How do you out the PVC/fuel line onto the nub?

I'm having a hard time trying to picture this. If possible a photo would be great. Thanks.

The other solution to the rattle is to put tension on the tie bar by way of a bungey cord to a fixed point on the transom. Last season I spent the money for the permanent fix and went to a liquid valve and no longer have a solid tie bar to worry about.

I use antifogging spray for plastic lens eye glasses on both out and inside of my downrigger counter window. Not 100% but one heck of an improvement.

Whole ...
I think Wolf had a picture back in the summer, could try a search.
But it only takes about 3/16" of tubing, I think it was 3/8" id. It depends on the ball size.
Rubber - fuel line hose - would probably work best.
It has to fit snugly over the ball, and can then rest on the shoulder of the fitting.
When you slide on the socket of the connecting arm piece, you want to compress the rubber sleeve enough that it exerts upward pressure on the socket to stop it from vibrating.
Measure the ball size and stop by your local auto parts shop, they should have the hose on a roll, and pick up a piece with an inside diameter equal to or a shade smaller than the ball diameter.
You might have to try a couple of pieces to get the correct length. I did.

A second tip for connecting rods, if, like mine, you have to put it on and take it off when you want to use the kicker, is to look for a foam pool noodle. Slide the rod through the centre hole and then put on the end socket fitting. Provides floatation if you drop the rod overboard. Don't ask me how I found the need for this.

You basically make a washer to fit over the nub but still tight enough to put the connection on I used 3/8 fuel line you may have to cut a few till you find just the right thickeness it was about 5/8 thick on mine but smaller on the other end also what I did was put a little small float over the bar as well get them at trotac about 6 inches long and about 4 inches across for "JUSTIN" !!!!!!
Just In case it fell over board LOL LOL

Good luck Wolf

Too funny just saw we must have been writing at the same time

Reel K because a rattle on a boat drves me crazy LOL LOL

Back