Good news for port alber salmon festival

PurgedTT

Fisheries and Oceans Canada has announced it will not schedule a commercial gillnet fishery for chinook salmon before the Port Alberni Salmon Festival, which takes place from Sept. 2 through 5. The first commercial opening is now scheduled for 8 p.m. Sept. 5.

Sportfishing representatives at the weekly multi-sector fisheries round table meeting had expressed their concerns that allowing a net fishery prior to the annual salmon derby would have a major negative impact on the festival and on tourism for the Alberni Valley.

On Thursday, Tseshaht First Nation fisheries manager Andy Olsen said the First Nations gillnet fleet has agreed to stand down until after the derby.
"Our commercial gillnet fishery closed down on Wednesday midnight, and we planned to have a small food fishery tonight, then that's it until after the derby," Olson said. "We don't want to impact the derby. Many of our people like to participate as well."

On Wednesday morning, veteran Tseshaht fisherman Tom Watts said chinook and coho had both begun to arrive in the harbour and in the Somass River.

Source:
http://www2.canada.com/albernivalleytimes/news/story.html?id=307ada76-d814-4bef-a293-eb642ca22476

Looks like all the pressure opened up these guys eyes....

In my conversation with Bill Shaw on Aug 15, I did let him know I was hoping to spend the week before the festival fishing alberni and the sound BUT I would not be going there if there was ANY sort of a commie opening.

I was not going to deal with the same BS I had with the commie sockeye opening. He did say the Mayor of PA had been in touch with him. I also said if you wanted commie openings do it after labour day.

Back