Good halibut rod?

Brian

Hey, any recommendations for a good bottomfishing/halibut rod? Say, $150 or so tops? thanks for your input!

Fenwick Canadian Methods 6’-6” rod. I bought mine a few years ago and they are burgundy in colour with gold writing. A nice action and right in your price range. The threads for the reel seat are aluminium and not plastic. Highly recommend this rod paired with an Avet 2 speed reel, but that’ll be an additional $500.

Reactions: abl
not sure if they still seel them,but as far as reels peen 330 and 320 are bullet proof for the price,i had mine for 15 plus year,maintenance every now and then and they work,got them paired with lamiglass haly rods,the rods are more money then the reels

Trolling, jigging or drifting or on the pick; could all be different rods/ reels. Going light with jigging is more popular than ever...anchored not so much. Penn's are heavy, weigh 22 or 28 Oz's. Some Avets start at $275 and up. My buddy has a newer jigging rod for sale, used one year.

Trolling, jigging or drifting or on the pick; could all be different rods/ reels. Going light with jigging is more popular than ever...anchored not so much. Penn's are heavy, weigh 22 or 28 Oz's. Some Avets start at $275 and up. My buddy has a newer jigging rod for sale, used one year.
I'm thinking primarily anchored.

I'm thinking primarily anchored.
Penn are heavy for heavy fish, not sure now a days about what people use, i know one thing is when i bought these,a lot of guides where using them for hali, and on the fraser for sturgeon, at about 125$ a piece they are bullet proof, i personally pull hali year after year on those bad boys , too heavy for cod and smaller bottom fish but for stinkys they good

If you don't hali fish that often (and who does?), a heavy 6' tiger ugly stick will work just fine. Cheap, effective and warrantied for life.

I used Peetz one piece roller rods converted to ceramic eyes for years,still my favourite,but I think they were 8 ft. long so I sold them when they didn't fit in my cuddy on a new boat.I now have a shimano trevala, a penn carnage and a shimano titan(I think).My favourite would now be the Penn Carnage,it has a strong backbone and the tip shows the smallest bite and the hand grips extend high enough to get good leverage to pull hard.The Trevalla is a very strong rod for it's weight but it has hardly any grip above the reel so you have to work harder to retreive.

I used Peetz one piece roller rods converted to ceramic eyes for years,still my favourite,but I think they were 8 ft. long so I sold them when they didn't fit in my cuddy on a new boat.I now have a shimano trevala, a penn carnage and a shimano titan(I think).My favourite would now be the Penn Carnage,it has a strong backbone and the tip shows the smallest bite and the hand grips extend high enough to get good leverage to pull hard.The Trevalla is a very strong rod for it's weight but it has hardly any grip above the reel so you have to work harder to retreive.
Thanks

I feel the same about the carnage, bend is on the tip, so sensitive and no real seat flex, have posted many times on here, carnage are not the cheapest but comparable and on sale sometimes. Used them all over the world and caught tons of species/fish. Love them. I do have a couple 6.6ft shimano beastmasters, good with 2 lbs of lead and some current when in JDF.

HM

Trevala. different versions rated up to 200 lb line. super light and with braid, can be used in a very light combo.

not sure if they still seel them,but as far as reels peen 330 and 320 are bullet proof for the price,i had mine for 15 plus year,maintenance every now and then and they work,got them paired with lamiglass haly rods,the rods are more money then the reels
Yeah, I have Penn 320's. Definately not as expensive as the rods!

Thanks for the input all. Much to think about. I had a look at the Shimano Trevala at Harbour Sports. Hard to believe a rod that light can handle a halibut! It looked like something one would use for smallmouth....but it can, eh?

Did you try a lift while one of the store guys pulled down on the tip of the rod? Those rods are freakin' strong, especially the 5'8" 200 lb line rated one.

Did you try a lift while one of the store guys pulled down on the tip of the rod? Those rods are freakin' strong, especially the 5'8" 200 lb line rated one.
Yes, I did. That's what I mean. Amazing backbone, considering how light it was.

Hope rod had line thru eyes to handle to give you a real feel for power, flex and bend. If only held by tip its a useless and sometimes dangerous method to test a rod. See how pro's bend a rod. NEVER hold tip, just like never rest a rod on gunnel of boat while playing a fish=instant snap.

HM

Shimano TVC66H Trevala this is 78" one piece heavy. I went with this length and action for Hali fishing while anchored with circle hooks as a bit of action is nice and the 68" are extra heavy and don't offer much action.
These rods are amazing and handle jigging 24oz jigs very well and handle the big fish incredibly. I have them both paired with Penn 320's and 80lb power pro.
I got and amazing deal at the time both rods were 40% if I recall the price was $150 CAD when the rods use to cost $280 or so. Like the first time I bought an Islander reel I thought wow that's a lot of money for a reel but now if I lost one I would replace them instantly and I feel the same about the Trevala you can get them for about $180 now but I could never go back to the old pool cues we used years ago.
All that said Shimano does have some other great rods like the Tallus that is less expensive and so does Fenwick if you can find them.

Well, I picked up a Trevala TVC58XXH at the Harbour Sports sale. This model was the only one they had when I got there. Looking forward to giving it a good workout this year. Priced at $159 plus tax. Can't believe how light it is, especially compared to the old one piece I've been using for years. Thanks for all your input!

Back