gone fishin

free to fish

I am looking for opinions on a welded aluminum boat for Slave lake in Alberta and at the cabin on Stuart lake in B.C I plan occasional trips to Pr Rupert but am retiring at Stuart lake The only caveat is moving to lake Ontario for a few years . I am tying to decide between an ocean pro220 and sea runner 220. Would like hard top. last boat for retirement. thanks

I bought a Sea Runner 220 last summer. I had to choose between the two and ended up with the SeaRunner. I wanted a light, fuel efficient boat. Dealer had both in stock, Ocean Pro with new 4 cylinder Yamaha 200 and Searunner with Yamaha 150. I did not like the idea of the 200 needing to run 89 octane at a minimum as it may not be available everywhere. I have been very happy with my Searunner but sometimes get the idea in my head that I should have went with the OceanPro for the few thousand extra.

You have to register on the Hewescraft Owners site. I was on there for quite a while researching and reading. I almost pulled the trigger on a 22 Ocean Pro before I found my Edwing on ifish.

The Ocean Pro is a larger boat both in beam and depth. If you crawl around on both of them it is quite apparent. IMO you should spend the few extra thousand and go with the Ocean Pro. Good luck with which ever you choose. Both are great functional boats.

youre better off getting a raw hull from ironwood boats and customizing it or getting a readymade cheapo hardtop from silverstreak.
the raw hull route will get you what you want exactly. just DIY the hardtop (its not hard) with aluminum from metalmart. The boat will weigh less, it will be more seaworthy, and will be customized to your taste for a lot less $$$. Readymade boats are crap.

As the ProV has been upgraded over the years, it is now VERY close to the Searunner in most specs, yet the OceanPro is a fairly substantial step up from the Searunner …. because of this the Searunner is being completely updated for 2015 so that it falls more in the middle between the ProV and the OceanPro - see the post, with prototype pics, on this forum thread:

http://www.glanglerforum.com/forum/showthread.php?18145-Sea-Runner-Ocean-Pro

Having said that, means that 2014 Searunners can be had for a pretty good deal - I just upgraded to a 180 Searunner ET for less than I could find a 180 Prov ET. Can't wait to get it on the water tomorrow!!

Anyway, there are MANY threads on many forums (iFish, Alaska outdoors, Hewescraft Owners, etc, etc) on the issue of the Searunner vs the Ocean Pro - particularly the hardtop versions in 22ft. Just google Searunner vs OceanPro and you'll find days worth of reading!!

Ukee

there is a sea runner for sale here on the coast
150 4 stroke yam 9.9 kicker with 25 hrs on the whole package
hard top cuddy enclosed with door , rear steering station ,diesel cabin heater

think its up for just under 40K
not sure if there's a trailer but its a clean tidy boat not even fished

call cam at the boat sales Gibsons marina

I am not familiar with the boats you are contemplating but am with both of those lakes, they can be very nasty. You best be in a very stable boat with good power and know what you are doing when the wind comes up as it does in a hurry.

If u are set on a hewescraft I would buy the ocean pro for sure . You have a good budget so if I were you I would check out some other boats as well before pulling the trigger.

Back