Golstream returns - WTF

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTF !! I do not believe this ! Yesterday the Natives are F'N GILLNETTING AT GOLDSTREAM They set a gillnet across one of the main channels and raced around in their boat scaring fish into the net. I guess spearing and netting them off the spawning beds was not efficient enough for them to fill up their pick up trucks fast enough so they resort to gill netting now on Goldstream !

IMG_7062.jpg

IMG_7068.jpg

IMG_7073.jpg

Well I guess you have never seen a seiner in operation if you think that is so bad. I repeat-- They have a constitutional RIGHT in the Constitution to do what they are doing if there are no conservation concerns. So lets hear where the present number of chums in the river are at. That will tell if what they are doing is harming the run. Anyone know whats in there?

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Goldstream has met its escapement. Cowichan tribes does not have any rights in goldstream it is the traditional territory of the Saanich tribes.

quote:Area 19 The last stream walk of the Goldstream River was November 12. The stream survey estimated approximately 9,000 live and 800 dead. The test boat was working in the area on November 10 and 11 and caught approximately 400 on November 10 and 70 on November 11. Most of the catch was from the Mill Bay area. No commercial fisheries are planned for Area 19 at this time.

Seems like they did OK for escapement. As far as which band is fishing-- did anyone ask the fishermen ????

Come on now guys. Lets save keep our powder dry for IMPORTANT issues. The Natives exercising thier rights under our laws , while it may not be pretty to some, is the minor part of the equation.

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Before the Nov 12 assessment the numbers were approx as follows:
Springs: 217 (awesome compared to the last few years)
Coho: 75 (bad - not even half of last years return but there are still a few more to come)
Chum 19,000: (last year was 25,000 and it was considered a poor year. In good years they had ~ 50,000 - 60,000. But they expect to run up to last years number in the next couple of weeks)

So I wouldn't say the Goldstream runs are in good shape except for springs.

Where exactly is the fish counting machine on Goldstream to count springs and coho ? Is it near the Nature hut by the estuary? how is this specific counting done? Is it all done by walking the stream? What worries me is.... so once the fish are counted ... they go up the stream and slaughter by the Natives, Coho's pouched and filleted before they can go spawn.. so of those numbers.. how many of those fish really do get to spawn !!!! ??? Now if Natives are gill netting in the estuary they are getting the fish before they are even counted.... how many Springs, Coho's do they take that never get counted ! its a loosing battle for the fish...

quote:Originally posted by Cuba Libre

quote:Area 19 The last stream walk of the Goldstream River was November 12. The stream survey estimated approximately 9,000 live and 800 dead. The test boat was working in the area on November 10 and 11 and caught approximately 400 on November 10 and 70 on November 11. Most of the catch was from the Mill Bay area. No commercial fisheries are planned for Area 19 at this time.

Seems like they did OK for escapement. As far as which band is fishing-- did anyone ask the fishermen ????

Come on now guys. Lets save keep our powder dry for IMPORTANT issues. The Natives exercising thier rights under our laws , while it may not be pretty to some, is the minor part of the equation.

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Minor part of the equation? That's where it all has to start from.. every little bit counts... the fish that return to spawn and actually make it back into a spawning river represent less than 1% of their fish stock... let them spawn for the love of god. Why do they want to harvest the 1% of fish that need to spawn for future stocks ?! Why should there be any fishing during reproductive periods in rivers and steams? Let nature do its thing.. leave the fish alone in rivers and streams when its spawning season. Is hunting season open in the spring and summer for game animals and birds ?... ahh no its their reproductive period. ... for fish their reproductive period is now in the Fall.. why would any one want to harvest fish during this reprodcutive period??? Yes I understand Natives have a "right" to fish under laws.. that's a given... I am not arguing that..

I agree 100% "ROCK" this is where the issue is most important. These are the fish who made it through all the sporty's and commercial fishing boats. These fish have made it this far they deserve to spawn untouched! What the FN are doing is like running a f'n marathon and then being tripped 10 feet from the finish line. I am disgusted in the act. Many will go on to say " Its their right...blah blah blah....The FN can go out and buy a boat and troll out in the chuck, Where the fish have a chance of survival. Not put a net across one of their paths to the river. If they want to spear salmon in the river they should be limited to post spawn fish (im sure they can tell if the salmon is fresh or spawned out) I know i saw them with their nets across the sooke river aswell. And last week i saw 3 FN kids at the sooke campground with lead weights and large barbed treble hooks raking the chum and coho's. I reported this to the Conservation Officer who i saw about 45 mins later and he said he had seen them but could do nothing as it is their right. I thought they had to use certain tools (spears, harpoons even traps)

This gets me so pissed off

-Steve

This thread is now getting racist and should be locked. [V]

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Agreed , been watching and we do this every year , amazing how we can never learn ?
I wonder if the same comments would be heard over the history lesson of the wholesale stupid slaughter of the buffalo 150 years ago ?
The common denominator was the traditional foods for the indigenous peoples were removed from them without asking or barter.

AL

The chum run is is approaching 10,000 for this year. It is thier right to fish it. If they do not waste, and release the coho which is somewhat low abundance in the system (and I dont think will happen but oh well) then I have no probs with it.

The wasting is an area of concern though....and is just plain.........a waste

quote:Originally posted by Cuba Libre

This thread is now getting racist and should be locked. [V]
20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Cuba,

How do you feel about this comment ??
maybe a little racist also ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I feel the only way to save the wild stocks would be for all of the immigrants (white's included) to leave and go back to thier homlands,

:D

Further to this...
Every time someone has a valid point about killing Salmon during spawning season in their natal streams, the race card is pulled. [xx(]
IMHO the F.N. are given every opportunity in this country to make
the most of their lives.
I am sick of hearing about hardships, which every race has had to endure over the milenniums of human development.
It's time to get over it and realize the resource is in a state of crisis, and start worrying whether there will be fish available
for any any user group in the future.

IMHO......its time for one race........CANADIAN!
LETS WORK TOGETHER!

Keep an eye on the news for ........Mike C, oops did I just say that[V]

Yes, i know the race card comes out but there are issues with some of the FN's tactics and practices. Some of which deffinitly need to be stopped!

-Steve

post continued... We cant use Barbed hooks for salmon??? Why do the FN get you go floss the sooke river, and the CO's tell me they cant stop them ???? WTF that is ridiculos

-Steve

Well said Craven.

It is funny how this is one of the only places in the world where first time settlers of a particular area still get special treatment.

I wish I could go back to Scotland and get extra benifits because "my people" were there first.

Its time for EQUAL rights across the board. It is still a world of discrimination when any race gets special treatment over another.

Some load fo dead chum in their as of today. Still lots of fresh ones in their. Very sad:(didn't see any coho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back