Gold River?

W

waddy

Thinking of making a trip up to gold river this summer for chinook. Have never been there and am wonderign about the best spots to fish, what to use (colour of teaser heads or hootchies etc.), and depth? Have you been there, is it worth the trip? I've seen so many pictures of beauty's that were caught there, but i have also heard the town is, well, a shantyville.

Thanks for any help.

Waddy

I fish out of Zebbalos so I can't help you on the south end of Nootka.I mostly fish cut plug.When I do use chovies I like the lime green heads or the army truck.Gold River is not a shanty town.It's a very nice little community.The boat ramp is about 15 km past the townsite.It is a paved road which follows the gold river.The natives run the ramp.I dont know what they charge.There is little or no moorage at gold river.The whole area is very nice to fish just a tad crowded.Just follow the boats..?? Good luck.

Anytime past July 1 is a good bet.Later in July or August would be better.I have not checked any DFO pages recently but there are many spot/area closures after certain dates.Just pay attention to the regs.I would assume the one over one under 77cm rule well be in effect again this year.

quote:Originally posted by frango

I fish out of Zebbalos so I can't help you on the south end of Nootka.I mostly fish cut plug.When I do use chovies I like the lime green heads or the army truck.Gold River is not a shanty town.It's a very nice little community.The boat ramp is about 15 km past the townsite.It is a paved road which follows the gold river.The natives run the ramp.I dont know what they charge.There is little or no moorage at gold river.The whole area is very nice to fish just a tad crowded.Just follow the boats..?? Good luck.
Do you guide out of the big Z?

Unless there is a RUN happening up the sound the only place to fish is OFF SHORE be prepared to be 9-12 miles out!!!! at NOOTKA !!! GOOD STUFF !!!

No, I don't guide.I just like the town.It's a bit of a boat haul down a long rough road but my wife and I enjoy the trip.Good camp ground in town and not to far to run out to open water.

Back