Gold River or Zeballos to Esperanza Coast

BDog Fisher

Hi

I am headed to Port Eliza. What is the most efficient and safest way?

Gold River Launch or Zeballos Launch??

I have done Gold River several time before but Zeballos appears more practical. More time driving on nice highway and less boat driving time. Also having the trailer in Zeballos is nice in the event of emergency or mechanical issues.

Any thought or updates on the Zeballos gravel road and boat ramp?

Thanks in advance

B

Hi

I am headed to Port Eliza. What is the most efficient and safest way?

Gold River Launch or Zeballos Launch??

I have done Gold River several time before but Zeballos appears more practical. More time driving on nice highway and less boat driving time. Also having the trailer in Zeballos is nice in the event of emergency or mechanical issues.

Any thought or updates on the Zeballos gravel road and boat ramp?

Thanks in advance

B
I've always driven to Tahsis and launched there. I read recently that the road from GR is in good shape. If you have 26'+ boat, maybe better to launch in GR or Zeballos.

Maybe I’ve gotten lucky but two years in a row we drove all the way to Zeballos and the roads were fine. You have to slow down in some places and your boat will be dusty. It it’s definitely doable and a shorter run.

I'd vote for GR. Highway 19 is easier to drive from Campbell River than the road to GR but you do have the 20 mile gravel road to Zeballos. that gravel road is easier than the one to Tahsis and most of it is smooth and offers no problems, just take it slow in the areas with larger size gravel/rocks. I was on it last month and punchured a truck tire, probably a once in a lifetime event, but with no cellphone it was stressful hoping the spare would make it till we made it back to Campbell River. I'd rather go to GR and stay on pavement and not have to worry about tire problems, even if it takes a little longer and takes a little extra boat gas. I've made several trips to Zelballos and Fair Harbour with no problems and haven't come across anyone with problems so you're probably safe that way, I just prefer to be a little more cautious in my old age.

Back