Gold River/Nootka or Sayward/ Port McNeill Help??

Golfn1

Looking to do one last fishing trip before I head back to the flat lands of Ontario.

I'm after action. Size of the fish or type doesn't matter as I'm releasing most or all of it.

With sockeye open could Sayward/Port McNeill compete with Nootka ?

Also, looking for a competent guide from Gold river to fish Nootka and one to fish Sayward to Port McNeilll.

Any help appreciated as I'm here only for 4 more days !!!

Cheers!!

I've used codfather from this forum for nootka. Nice boat, great guy, lots of fish.

Where are you now? Sayward will have lots of Socks and Pinks but not much guiding and Gale Warnings for the next 4 days more than likely. A guide out of Campbell River can take you to Greensea/Chatham Point (2/3 rds of the way to Sayward) and get you Socks and Pinks, but it is a Meat Fishery, you fish Socks for Table Fare not the thrill of the fight. It will be windy anywhere in Johnstone Strait for the next few days. It is a product of topography and High Presssure areas common to summer here. If you can find a guide for Nootka Sound do it, Nootka is at it's prime for Big Springs and the thrill of the West Coast fishery. IMHO if you are paying a guide, do Nootka. Lots of Springs inside Nootka, so you can fish in relative comfort (a lot less wind in the sound). Sorry do not have names. You could get a guide out of Painters Lodge in Campbell River and I am guessing that would be the cheapest, Google may be your best friend.

Awesome Advice Seawolf. Hadn't considered the winds... we are in CR now and have noticed the chop in Discovery passage. We went whale watching in Port Mcneill today and it was beatiful, no waves. A LOT of boats both private and commercial fisherman, seiners and netters.

Yes it seems Nootka might be best. I've fished Esperanza before but would like to see Nootka too ?

@bakerfam, do you have a contact for Codfather ?..is he out of Gold River ?

Thanks again, appreciate it and any other recommendations for Nootka pending Codfather's availability.

Cheers !

Last edited by a moderator:
golfn1, I just sent a PM to codfather. He is on this forum. You may want to pm him as I'll be leaving tonight for Nootka! :)

golfn1, I just sent a PM to codfather. He is on this forum. You may want to pm him as I'll be leaving tonight for Nootka! :)

Yes, he is totally booked !!

May have to pay through the nose and go to Moutcha Bay...

Enjoy Nootka...and tightlines !!:D

Any other Nootka guide suggestions ?

Golfn.......buzz IslandFishLifter on this forum. Dave was guiding over in Nootka, not sure if he is again this year but may be able to steer you in the right direction.

According to this he is there now "Im heading to Nootka on sunday to guide a group for 4 days. When are you heading to Nootka Paul? Are you staying at Nootka Island Lodge?"

Back