Gold River min. Tide for launch

I am going to Nootka around the 20th Aug & have a large boat (26 Tolly with an inboard) What Kind of Tide height do you think I need to launch safely at Gold River. Any other suggs.

Sorry I can't give you heights. The biggest problem is the fall off at the end of the ramp and a sand bar before you get very far from the dock. Depending on what you draw, I'd guess you want to be 3 hours either side of high tide and nowhere near the low.

Critter Cove recommends no less that 3.0 and I would agree. There is a drop off at the bottom and it very shallow on the way out. We launched and came in on a 5.0 +/-. It was doable, but not desirable. The biggest problem was no dock space.

Thanks guys
Thats what I need to know. Around the 20th/21st are some of the lowest tides during that time frame & not the best time of the day either. Trying to avoid the big mid day head winds but at least got the boat to brave them if I have to!

I suggest you consider launching at Tahsis. Then you won't have to worry about the tides and wind. Just a thought.

I would recommend at least a 4.0 tide. I've been going in and out of the Gold River launch for many years with a 27' Seasport and now a 30' Grady. The biggest problem is with rocks on the bar as you leave or approach the launch. The shallowest spot is right next to the dock where the Nootka Air float planes tie.
I went over the bar once when it was right at 3 foot and nicked a rock with my duoprop. That was a $150 boo boo.

Two ways I can look at it. Probably have somewhere up to 30 inches of draft with the inboard & risk an indifferent tide or I can tow a 13000 thous # triple axle 11 1/2 ft high package over what kind of a road to Tahsis? What do you think?

Knot, Gold River has always won out for me and I'm towing and launching a boat that's 10+ wide, 13'5" high and weighs over 15,000. If you plan the tides right Gold River is your best option versus all the miles over the gravel. I've never towed into Tahsis so I don't know the condition of that gravel road. I have towed the gravel to Zeballos but went very slow.
It all boils down to what your comfortable with.

Thanks Hog
got a question for you. Don't know if your a local BC boy or not but do you always have a over wide permit for your boat? I towed my boat all the way from Michigan the first week of May & never had any US or provincial highway enforcement bother me. At max ten ft wide I'm 1 1/2 ft over. That being said BC is another story. Having lived there for 31 yrs seems you can't pick your nose down there without a permit. Ever get or heard of anyone getting ticketed for being a little over?

Knot, I live in Washington. I usually always make sure that I have an over wide permit when I tow. I've never been stoppped and asked but if they ever do I don't want to be stuck at the side of the road if they decided to get nasty with me. I always stop at the truck scale by the Campbell River store and get a permit when traveling in BC. It cost's me $14. I also always mark my boat with the required flags and wide load signs.

Back