Going to caye caulker belize in december

hemi57

Hey I am headed to caye caulker in December was wondering if anyone can recommend a guide or what kinda gear I should bring so I can shore fish and maybe outta a kayak cheers

Very small Island should be easy to find someone. Go to one of the snorkel shops and ask.Snorkeling is cheap you can hit 3 sites for like $30. Habanaros for keylime pie.The cut has a bar right on the water.

There's a passage on The Split - near the Lazy Lizard bar,fish funnel through there frequently.Good place to snorkel,can be a strong current when tide is ripping. The Hol Chan Reserve is a must see; actually closer to Ambergris Caye,best snorkeling around...as mentioned tours can be arranged from Caye Caulker.The Cake Lady get's my nod;you see her pushing her cart around,her brother lives in Victoria.
http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractions-g291963-Activities-Caye_Caulker_Belize_Cayes.html
http://cayecaulker.org/
http://www.gocayecaulker.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Hemi,

I am going in to Caye Caulker in March 2016. Will be scuba diving with Belize Diving Services. Contact CJ there. He is Canadian and nephew of a friend of mine in Kelowna.
I hope to go fishing as well so let me know what you find out and how your trip was. First time there for me. Where are you staying?

The split is a place that people fished never saw anyone catch anything but bar is pretty cool.There are massive tarpon(protected). Went with "piggy" who is apparently "the guy". It was a boat ride with crappy gear sub par really and not worth it. Very weedy for shore fishing or swimming. Stayed at apparently the nicest place there which for the money meh, no snorkelling off shore and there are crocodiles.beer and water delivered by one of 3 vehicles on the island right to your door, food good.

We rented a condo off of airbnb is called villa Gemma I think it has a private pool and stuff going for two we I will let ya know what I find cheers

There were lots of lobster in the area by the spit. Was closed season when we were there. Had a good guide, but have a senior moment and can not remember his name. Has some pet tarpon by his house. I went flats fly fishing with him. He put me on the fish, was my problems with casting and seeing them that caused a low catch rate. We only saw one Permit. Is still. Swimming as far as I know.

Hey I am headed to caye caulker in December was wondering if anyone can recommend a guide or what kinda gear I should bring so I can shore fish and maybe outta a kayak cheers

Depends what you're into.. There were definitely some folks who waded and flyfished the split... firing a cast way out and letting the current sink it and sweep it away, then a deep retrieve, they caught a variety of stuff, did not work well for me. I rented a kayak and went across the split and up the east side of the north island. Found some shallow water and tailing bonefish there, managed a couple (photo). I chatted to Haywood Curry

http://www.anglersabroad.com/haywood-curry/

Super nice guy, provided information even though I was too cheap for a charter. His wife runs the school there which operates largely on donations. Perhaps write a donation cheque for the school and ask him for advice. He was willing to let folks cast off his dock. There were tarpon there at night, you could see their eyes glowing in the light. I think I caught a bonefish or two there as well. Smaller bonefish but super fun on a 6 or 7 weight (or light spinning gear).

Also caught a couple tiny tarpon and a weird snapper in the back channels of the island from a kayak. Kayaks are cheap there. Feed the tarpon at the dock on the backside.

Have fun! Oh.. and don't worry about crocodiles, not an issue.

Also x 2 on Hol Chan.... watch the punch on the charter, its overproof.Presentation1.jpg

I've been there a lot and caught fish most times from shore. There's the odd bonefish in the shallows around the island but never seen any great schools, just singles and pairs. Never fished on the other side of the split but from what I've heard there's more bones over there if you're willing to go for a paddle.

Had a friend take us out to reef and caught a ton of barracuda and various reef fish, but crappy equipment and rods built for marlin takes a lot of the fun out of that.

You used to be able to basically fish from your bar stool at the split and the tarpon would come to feed under the lights at night. A lot of people try to catch them but dont' have luck with typical tarpon patterns. The only thing that ever worked for me was dead drifting small shrimp patterns in the current (the shrimp come to the lights and attract the tarpon). Actually had luck with top water rapalas as well one trip but after I hooked a couple they spooked for the night.

The best flats fishing is accessed via ambergis caye, they have the classic flats you see in the magazines with tarpon rolling and permit tailing. When I asked nobody from caye caulker was willing to make the run, i think it's pretty far.

I've also talked to guys that jumped in tour boats headed for the outer reefs, fished all day and had them pick them up on the way back in.

It used to be a real gem of an island, go slow

Back