Gibbs Delta in Chile

Imagine having to go through a fence and down all those rocks. I lose my fish everytime I reach for a net for 2 seconds.
Did you see the large plug he was using ?? I'm sure that that lure had 2 hooks, a single set in the mouth and a large
TREBLE BARBED set just below the gills.
And I'm sure that the line he was using is probably 50-80# braid...... That fish was NOT getting away.

Last edited:
I do not know why our Government in their infinite wisdom can not go down to Chili and get some
genetics from these fish back up to the pacific northwest. If they can be transported there they can
be transported back .
We have these same genetics, as these fish came from the North Pacific. This is a great example of the increased competition (aka Alaskan, Russian, and Japanese Pink and Chum) driving a decline in size, through earlier maturation, evident from the increased number of 3 year old Chinook returning year after year. These southern Chinook have limited competition for the rich anchovy populations in the area. = Larger body

Most of the Chilean pacific and atlantic salmon populations came from aquaculture escapees. They also intentionally introduced in some rivers brown and rainbows and seasrun browns. A few rivers have the ultimate salmonid collection; probably at a high cost to whatever lived there naturally. But I doubt there is much scrutiny and science on those rivers.

The Chinook populations are actually descended from the attempted "stocking" programs in the 1970s. Figure 2 in the paper provides the simplest picture of the separation based on genetic contrasting analysis.

"Our results for naturalized and farmed Chinook salmon are genetically divergent and the naturalized population has a higher percentage of unique alleles than the farmed population does. Thus, the farmed population cannot be genetically linked to the naturalized population and so the fish sampled in the river could not have originated from the farmed sampled population"

I've met a few of the Gibbs guys. The few I've met have been great guys and avid fishermen. My issue is Gibbs keep buying all the tackle companies, then start manufacturing tackle in China. I just bought ten Gibbs spoons in the original packaging from the 90s. Much better quality. Nothing against China, I just don't think they have a great reputation when it comes to quality manufacturing.
If this is true, good point.

Back