Getting back onboard... and survival.

Foxsea

Has anyone come up with a good way to recover a guy gone overboard? (yeah - always with his fly down.) After falling into cold water, he's pretty helpless.
We tried it once, in the summer, in calm water - Power Squadron. Even with the ladder, it's not that easy getting a fully clothed, older guy back and onto the boat. Prop's at the back, ladder's at the back. Wind causes drift ...

So what about in the winter and rough water? I'd think my cruiser suit would make it even harder, even if I survived the cold shock. It's something I really don't want to think about (for the "Ever Been Scared" thread...). What's the survival outlook in that scenario? Fishing without a buddy just seems dumb.

Last edited by a moderator:
very good thread to start--as a former rescue diver, it was something we practised continually wearing dry suits...A very difficult task and hypothermia sets in quick in these waters. All boaters should take more time at pre planing for various mishaps and as the professional guides likely do, always give a short lecture and show and tell to guests on how to operate a radio, the controls and for sure the name of the boat and description, because it is often the owner that becomes incapacitated and the others are then over their head with the emergency situation.

Gaff em??? ;)

Just kidding; this could be a very good thread.:cool:

You have tools at your disposal on board such as rope, flotation devices, paddles, boat cushions etc. With some creativity any of these may be of use; there are also those catch bag things to throw to someone in the water.

I think getting them back on board will depend on a lot of factors, the layout of your boat, state of the man overboard, number of people on board who can help.

If the person in the water is at the boat and can be of assistance in getting themselves on board, getting them to use the leg of the engine as a "step" is an idea; assuming you've killed the engine.

Interesting to hear some replies of those in the know with some expertise.

Gaff em??? ;)
If you gaff 'em enough times and fill them with holes, they sink quite nicely. then you can tie them to your anchor line and drop them to the bottom. A great blood trail will bring in Halis from all around.

I am by no means a expert at this, but here is my best guess at a process that MAY work. The key is to attach them back to the boat. You may not be able to o tget them out easy with only one person, but you will NEVER get them out if you have to let go to get a better handle and they drift away. Once you get them back with your tossing line, tie a harness around them under the shoudlers with a bowline facing outward from the chest and tie this line to the boat near the ladder or easiest re-entry point. Do not try to be gentle with getting them back in the boat. it is less important than getting them in at all costs (except for you going in, or the boat capsizing), the sooner the better. The longer you take, the less likely they will be to help you. if you have two people on board, a person one each arm preferably just under the shoulder and a "count to three" mighty heave.

Once on board, if you have any dry clothes or blankets, get them into them asap. If its not the middle of summer and they have been in the water for more than an hour and you are more than an hour from heat with no means to generate on board, you probably have a medical emergency on board and need to radio CCG and leave for closest landfall immediately.

if you dont have a ladder run a length of line from your stern cleat up to your mid or bow cleat. make sure the line has enough slack that it hangs down to just below the waterline. this helps with bringing a person back on board because its something they can put a foot onto and help take some of the weight off themselves to further aid whoever is trying to lift them back onboard. obviously this will only work on victims that are still concious and coherent. trim tabs work well for a step also.

Here's a picture I found online.... might be helpful if you weighted the bottom rung. I like how it is very portable and you can hang it from various spots on the boat. Perhaps this with a rescue strop so you could hook around their chest.... You'd hope that between those two items you could get them back on board.

This is made from PVC.

ladder.jpg

very good thread to start--as a former rescue diver, it was something we practised continually wearing dry suits...A very difficult task and hypothermia sets in quick in these waters. All boaters should take more time at pre planing for various mishaps and as the professional guides likely do, always give a short lecture and show and tell to guests on how to operate a radio, the controls and for sure the name of the boat and description, because it is often the owner that becomes incapacitated and the others are then over their head with the emergency situation.

I appreciate your reply, as someone that has trained for this and as one that fully appreciates the risks.
Could you please give us a run-down on the routine that you would follow after the MOB button is punched on the GPS - keep an eye on the guy in the water, circle back, then what? Is recovery next to impossible in cold, rough water? WCVI in January, for instance - even inside Eagle or Trevor Channels? Thanks.

I also have had people that came fishing (once) that I would have liked to gaff, after I kicked them over: - the guy that dropped my rod and Longstone reel over ("Geez, sorry - if I knew they cost that much I wouldn't have used it."). Or the buddy (former) that dropped my 40# spring - (I'm still pissed) into the waiting jaws of the seal lurking by the cleaning table at Poett Nook. Okay - after a lot of therapy and medication, I've almost let those things go...:rolleyes:

I appreciate your reply, as someone that has trained for this and as one that fully appreciates the risks.
Could you please give us a run-down on the routine that you would follow after the MOB button is punched on the GPS - keep an eye on the guy in the water, circle back, then what? Is recovery next to impossible in cold, rough water? WCVI in January, for instance - even inside Eagle or Trevor Channels? Thanks.
X2. I think I know what to do (and that in itself might be more dangerous), but it would be great to get the standard procedure from someone who knows what to do.

The reason I didn't jump into a "know it all" bunch of info is due to the fact that every boat is configured in a different way- Some great suggestions in the posts above--in other words- size up your unique situation and improvise....Those of you who have a Marine Radio License may want to plastisize a card and mount it beside your marine radio with steps to contact the Coast Guard or a nearby boat that can relay info and assist. The gaff is not a bad tool to use as you can hook it in their life jacket (I know- what are the odds-lol- of them wearing one?) or any clothing such as a jacket or shirt. A trap puller is invaluable..but as I said, this could happen on a 12 foot skiff to a trawler.
RULE #1 primary CONCERN IS THE SAFETY OF THE RESCUER!--without you they have no hope--so don't jump in and join the situation or the result is 2 people needing rescue---This is a hard rule to follow if it's your loved one as most people follow into the "candle/moth syndrome--in other words don't rush in without stopping to think and it's always wise to call for help before the situation is out of control- You can always cancel the call if you are sucessful and no first responder would ever give you any thing but praise--Cancelled calls due to your thoughtful actions are the very best result possible for emergency services.
sTAY SAFE GUYS AND GALS AND KEEP POSTING YOUR IDEAS ON THIS THREAD, BECAUSE ANY ONE OF THEM MAY STICK IN SOMEBODIES BRAIN AND BE USEFULL ONE DAY.

Pee into the bailer, use a doughnut on the downrigger wire, don't lean over ever, keep a neat deck for good nonslip/trip footing when netting, wear a lifejacket, treat the water like falling in is going to be fatal even at the dock. I have a righting line tied midships in case of inversion which I hope to never use, but needed on my smaller boat once.
I enjoy fishing alone.

One of the most usefull safety skills I have used is throwing rope. Twice I have been able to assist boats by towing them away from danger. In both situations the conditions were extream wind and swell with shore only a stones throw away. Shore would have most likely resulted in fatalities! Trying to get near another vessel in big seas can be a challenge. Reading the wind and waves is necessary. Once you've got your boat into position there is no spare time to waste on practice throws so this is a good thing to practice before hand. I use my anchor rope for towing for its strech and strength. IMPORTANT! Tie a big loop in the end of the tow rope. Both times of rescue the occupants of the distressed vessel were in shock from fear. They almost couldn't tie the rope to thier own cleat because of the shakes! A loop would have been easier for them. It is also good practice to either have a harness prerigged or a large tow cleat mounted forward of your engines in the center of your transom. When towing from one side of your boat by one cleat it is difficult to travel the direction you want.
Braided rope has good weight and can be thrown some distance. I'm right handed so I heave from my right to my left. Coil medium sized coils clockwise into your right hand until it is full. Then do another bunch of colckwise coils for your left hand. When you heave right to left put a little more umph into the right hand toss. The rope will uncoil in the air eliminating drag from being drawn from the main pile. You should be able to throw as far as rope you can hold in your hands, over 100ft. This skill can and does save lives.
A handle mounted on an engine pod is also a thought. Something for someone to grab and pull on to help them slide onto the pod deck.

Here is a link to the Coast Guard Auxiliaries Manual http://www.ccga12.org/training/SARCrewManual.pdf go to chapter 10 . good reference manual. beemer

Really good! Thanks for putting that link up. I'll print the manual and keep it onboard.
Many really good ideas here, guys. thanks. I'll pick up the line donuts, Tubber.
Peeing into the bailer is a good practice, too - it's difficult keeping the last dribbles off the gunnel, anyway. :(
Tomorrow, I'm down at the park, practising line heaving. Great instructions, btw Fishmyster. It's really impressive to see, when done well.

Apparently the new high-power Scotty downriggers can hoist a guy back on board!

Apparently the new high-power Scotty downriggers can hoist a guy back on board!

Awesome! Now I'm getting a 4' pedestal welded up so the downrigger will work like a davit! :D

BTW: Does that gal still crew for you? I'll pay you guide rate if she does and there's a cuddy. You can keep the bait and your rod - good deal. ;)

Peeing into the bailer is a good practice, too - it's difficult keeping the last dribbles off the gunnel, anyway. :(

My eastern friends have a useful trick for peeing over the edge of a boat. They are usually fishing in tippy tin cans and thus this idea emerged. "THE EXTENDER" They cut a small piece (small because they are from ontario) of pvc or other plastic tubing. Put your unit in, and you dont have to lean overboard, even if its cold! It also eliminates the fear of your buddy turning the boat into the wind so that you **** all over yourself. My only advise with this setup up is have your own tube! I wouldn't share mine with anyone else, that's like sharing a bathing suit!

If someone goes over the side you need to be aggressive and fast. Your heaving line and Kisby ring should be ready at a moments notice. Some one points at the person in the water and never takes there eyes off them , get close throw the line over top of them so they can wrap the line and pull the ring to them. Get them to the boarding ladder and help them on board. Only seconds in the water and they may be incapble of using a ladder. Get them out of the wet clothes and into dry ones or a heated space. Get on the radio to Coast Guard and request medical advise, you can kill someone warming them up to fast...

It's part of my safety breifing on my charter boat but it should be something understood on sports boats as well..

Bret

PS If I'm on the boat my Mustang Inflatable is on me...

Back