Get the plan in place now

Sushihunter

http://www.canada.com/plan+place/4093915/story.html

Get the plan in place now

By Larry Peterson, Comox Valley Echo January 11, 2011

Regarding the halibut allocation situation, I too have a vested interest: I'm a Canadian taxpayer and voter.

It is inexcusable that DFO, the government art charged with managing this wonderful resource, did not put in place the 2011 allocation plan way back in October, as mandated. Further, the plan should have included opportunities for the public starting Feb. 1 and carrying on through Dec. 31.

We can go on and on about lodges and "slipper skippers" and the like but these are side issues. The issue is access by Canadian citizens to a Canadian resource.

I do need to say about lodges that if they are Canadian-owned and paying Canadian taxes and offering opportunities to Canadians and bringing money from other countries into the Canadian economy and not abusing the resource such that they are compromising sustainability, where is the problem?

So, back to the issue: DFO, get your plan in place, communicate it clearly and soon and ensure there is opportunity for the Canadian public beginning Feb. 1 and lasting through Dec. 31.

Larry Peterson
Courtenay

© Copyright (c) Postmedia News

Back