Gel coat problems on the new boat

Charter Tofino

The boats a malibu tyee 2005 and everytime i haul it outta the water its got more chips in the gelcoat. Im not hitting anything and im not beaching it? My old boat from 1974 had a way better gelcoat and it was 30 years older. The biggest is a 2 by 6 inch chip on the keel near the front. Its where the waterline is if im on plane. I may have hit small 6 inch junk but nothing more. Any ideas? Bad coat? I dont want to pay 800$ for a new one on a three year old boat! Heres a pic of the keel theres 2 or 3 more chips above this outta the pic. I have been fixing them with that gelcoat fix up stuff but should i keep doing that?

gel.jpg

Kelly
Those chips do like they are from collision with objects. The second longer one maybe being caused by your trailer if you bring your boat up to it and do not have quite enough water to clear the cross tie. Mine has a rub plate on it and I still see slight damage to the gel coat.

You might be right when we hauled it out last night at a super high tide and the ramp was really steep. With the Deep V we dont have much clearance. Never even thought of that. Is it ok to leave? Fix with gel coat in a tube or professionaly done?

get it done right kelly, thats one heck of anice boat to be messing with under the waterline

Get those fixed ASAP! You have gone right down to the fiberglass (not good) If you continue to use the boat you are risking water intrusion (BAD). Your local boat yard repair guys could clean that repair up for about $150. Cash and a 6 pack works well sometimes too. Your photo does not show your trailer, does it have center keel rollers as well as bunks? Are the rollers rolling or are they hard and stuck? A set of guides at the back of the trailer could help to keep the hull centered. It can happen to the best of us, I just had my boat repowered and when the dealer DROVE the boat onto the trailer they did similar damage. They had it repaired.

Did you buy this boat new? Could this be a bad repair job from a previous owner? (Maybe from a dry launch on the ramp?)

We've got a 10 year old Malibu Tyee and we've never had any problems with the gel coat.

Kelly looks as though you are definately hitting the cross tie of the trailer when your either loading or unloading. No use to fix the boat until you've fix the trailer. You have to change the height or the position of the bunks some more pictures maybe helpful. Also pay attention when your loading if it is hitting you maybe able to feel it. Loading a boat that size should be fairly smooth in the bunks you shouldn't feel any jolts or clunking.

IMG_0330.jpg

trail.jpg

This is the trailer theres no sign of rubbing and i entered the trailer well the last two times out not hitting.We also took it to a gas station that is weird getting out of and you can see lots of trailers have hit there as theres no clearance. It doesnt have much clearance on the hull where it hit i think it hit the pavement on a steep awkard ramp or road but im not sure i havent felt anything. Could i haul it out and put on this gel chip repair? Or dont mess around? Any ideas mid island on where to get it done?

If you're in the Victoria area, give Jenkins Marine a try 479-2244. I hear they do great work...may be worth the drive.

R and R Boat Refit and Repair in Port Alberni does excellent work. I had them work on my boat and the repairs are not visible. Last year they charged $65 an hour to do repairs, so the cost will depend upon the length of time it takes them.

Hey Kelly:
I'll second R&R in Port Alberni, but this time of year you may be out of commission for a while. Gelcoat is relatively easy to repair although you may not acheive the perfect finish you could probably patch it up well enough to seal it.
I'd get in touch with the Parksville Boathouse and ask them who they use or could recommend for fast fix up. They will have contacts I'm sure that can get the job done fast.
I cannot tell how far forward your chips are, but I'd highly recommnend a Keel Guard to prevent future problems. http://www.keelguard.com/

Ok found out that the longer chip is from the petrocan in nanoose bay. To pull in the one side there is a steep grade that trailers hit you can see the pavement all scratched up. The bottom of the boat must have touched. Good to explain that one but still unsure why the others? Were going to get it done professinaly at the boat repair in nanaimo it was recommended i forget the name if anyone wants it ill look it up. They quoted us 250$ Seems like alot since parts will be next to nothing and labour shouldnt take an hour.

quote:Originally posted by kelly

Ok found out that the longer chip is from the petrocan in nanoose bay. To pull in the one side there is a steep grade that trailers hit you can see the pavement all scratched up. The bottom of the boat must have touched. Good to explain that one but still unsure why the others? Were going to get it done professinaly at the boat repair in nanaimo it was recommended i forget the name if anyone wants it ill look it up. They quoted us 250$ Seems like alot since parts will be next to nothing and labour shouldnt take an hour.
do it yourself.... you can get a repair kit at Industrial plastics
for about 20 bucks
it may not look pretty, but you're not going to see it anyways

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

I second that,,,repair it yourself,,its easy work and its simple to get it almost perfect...If I can do it right anyone can!!!
Just make sure its really dry before starting...

Back