Gas prices up again

Liberal bashing on a gas price thread ... last time I checked it was Conservative governments that want to keep subsidizing this industry to the tune of billions per year, despite O&G industry execs and investors making fortunes from gouging us, the consumer. Being upset at the inflated prices that are nothing but gouging is fair, but direct your anger where it belongs!

I filled at 109.9 last week here in Kamloops, not sure what it’s at now but Costco’s pricing keeps it a bit more reasonable around here.

Cheers!

Ukee
Carbon tax? Just went up 8 cents a litre a few weeks back.

Carbon tax? Just went up 8 cents a litre a few weeks back.
True. But BC liberal party is more traditionally aligned with the federal conservatives than the federal
Libs. Don’t know why and it doesn’t make sense but is what it is. And Ukee is right too. Lots of $$$$ subsidizing an industry that doesn’t need it.

True. But BC liberal party is more traditionally aligned with the federal conservatives than the federal
Libs. Don’t know why and it doesn’t make sense but is what it is. And Ukee is right too. Lots of $$$$ subsidizing an industry that doesn’t need it.
I guess I’m confused. The article you quote was about the Provincial NDP and the tax I quoted was from the Federal Liberals. Where did the Federal Conservatives fit in?

I guess I’m confused. The article you quote was about the Provincial NDP and the tax I quoted was from the Federal Liberals. Where did the Federal Conservatives fit in?
Sorry for the confusion. Just trying to clarify BC libs brought in the first carbon tax under Gordon Campbell. Long before the rest of the country had one. And that the provincial liberals and federal conservatives are more in sync than the two liberal parties. Even if it was the fed libs who made it nation wide.

Last edited:
Not stealing money in taxes from a company is not subsidizing it. The money a company make does not belong to the government it belongs to the companies it’s not up to the government to decide how much we can retain or how much a company can retain. Any money taken in taxes from a company is gone it’s lost, the government disposes of it. Any money kept by a company is used in re investment to grow the company and adds jobs and grows the economy.
You want to bring gas prices down in your province get after them to build that pipe and a couple more like it, you would be surprised what can happen. Otherwise get used to it and get ready to pay even more.
Canada does subsidize the oil industry. There’s a wide range of speculation on just how many tax dollars are spent on it though.

Last edited:
Sometimes its not worth getting into a price war with your competitors and race to the bottom its better just to hold or increase your price. some times you don't need to collude with your competitors to raise prices.

not saying the oil companies are not colluding but they have been laying off employees and shutting down production. The industry is going though a big consolidation.

I was talking to my brother in Peterborough, Ontario as I was reading this thread.

Regular 109.9¢ Premium 126.9¢

In North Van I just bought Premium today at $164.9

Regular 144.9¢ Midgrade 157.9¢ Premium 164.9¢

Canada does subsidize the oil industry. There’s a wide range of speculation on just how many tax dollars are spent on it though.

Canada is subsidizing alot of industry and alot of businesses right now.... airlines, restaurants, tourism, homeless folks that prefer to sit in a park or a hotel room, refugees entering this country and we pay for their quarantine. and alot more. Get ready for it, much higher taxes in the future to pay for all this. Sorry for the bad news...

Wanted to fill up with 94 no-ethanol at a Chevron station but then I was too lazy to trailer the boat to a gas station. Does anyone know if the mid-grade gas on a fuel barge is still ethanol free? I’ve heard from couple people that the regular marine fuel may contain %5 ethanol as of this year. Is that true or just another fisherman’s myth?
I usually fill up at the Chevron barge in Coal Harbor and if I’m not mistaken, they only sell 87 octane regular marine fuel. Hopefully that still has no ethanol in it.

Back