Garmin Network

Marsman

Hi,

Has anyone setup a Garmin network to run a 2nd display at the back of the boat? I have a 7012 unit (2013) with Radar, Sounder box and VHF all connected together. I'm an IT guy (27yrs) and have research it a lot and it looks like I only need to run a Cat5 / power to the back. This will be plugged into the back of my 7012 which still has an open network port. I'm only wanting to see the charts/sounder options for fishing. Also I have looked at the Garmin compatibility website and looks like I need to buy a older unit as the newer ones will not work. (GPSMAP, the Echomap will not be compatible)

So any one have a 7-10" they want to part with to upgrade their unit? I found a new 8" unit I can get for $1017 delivered.

Cheers, Rob

Well after talking to Garmin my unit is not simple in adding another unit to the back via network (no sonar) or POE injector to get Wi-Fi going. Looks like go with what I got till I need to upgrade.

Cheers, Rob

We just set a second screen up in the stern bought a new 742xsplus
have a 7410 xsv at the helm. works good so far
Just ran a Ethernet cable to front and it works good

Hi,

Has anyone setup a Garmin network to run a 2nd display at the back of the boat? I have a 7012 unit (2013) with Radar, Sounder box and VHF all connected together. I'm an IT guy (27yrs) and have research it a lot and it looks like I only need to run a Cat5 / power to the back. This will be plugged into the back of my 7012 which still has an open network port. I'm only wanting to see the charts/sounder options for fishing. Also I have looked at the Garmin compatibility website and looks like I need to buy a older unit as the newer ones will not work. (GPSMAP, the Echomap will not be compatible)

So any one have a 7-10" they want to part with to upgrade their unit? I found a new 8" unit I can get for $1017 delivered.

Cheers, Rob
Had a similar problem on my previous boat and ended up just buying a standalone Garmin 7” GPSmap with sounder and charts for back deck. At the time the new unit had a better sounder, ungraded/current charts and included the transducer. Got it at the Vancouver boat show for about $700. Solves your problem and gives you a full backup.
Current boat has all new Garmin gear with 3 screens, radar, and sounder, all connected. it’s brilliant.
FYI I am in IT too. 35+ years!

Back