Garmin 9-Axis Heading Sensor

Saratoga

I originally installed this for use with my Garmin 24” Fantom Radome to get accurate chart overlays ... and it works extremely well. I then opted to install the Garmin Reactor 40 Autopilot which comes with it’s own heading sensor which services the auto pilot and chart overlay functionality. So I no longer require the original sensor. It is in “like new” condition and was only used a few months before I did the auto pilot install and had to remove it. It’s extremely easy to install .. just a single cable connection into your existing Garmin NMEA2K network.

I’m located in Port Moody.
The Garmin list price is $940 CAD. They are also available as a special order item from places like GPSCity for around $850 CAD.
I’m asking $500.

EFA16D65-4ABB-4FA8-AF7B-A2700BFBD6F1.jpeg

Attachments

• 07C746DB-C3DC-40C4-A647-F211F9F2022F.jpeg
    07C746DB-C3DC-40C4-A647-F211F9F2022F.jpeg
    411 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I sold a Garmin Reactor Autopilot on eBay. Worked out well, much larger audience. Mine was for a Seastar Optimus system, so very specific, but so is this. If it’s only a heading sensor, not too many people would be looking for one, so eBay will probably be your best bet. Good luck with the sale!

Thanks for the info Eriks. I’m not in a rush so not a big deal if it doesn’t sell quickly. Anyone who has garmin radar will eventually look for a heading sensor to provide accurate chart overlays ... at least if they use the boat regularly and end up in a situation with heavy fog :). Garmin does have a less expensive heading sensor but it isn’t as accurate .. especially at low speeds. The orientation of the bow in the onscreen return is less accurate on the less expensive sensor units so if you’re trying to retrace your path at a slow speed in a bit of chop or swell, it’s easier to end up off course. And I’ve found when you’re stuck in fog or caught out after dark, you will likely be traveling at a slow speed. No doubt this is a higher end sensor ... the highest end unit they make for that matter. But I justified the few hundred dollars more by wanting to know I had the most precise return and heading info on my screen when the situation arises. A few hundred dollars seems insignificant when you’re caught in a fog bank or out after dark for that matter.

The heading sensor that Garmin sells for the autopilot setup turns out to be identical to what I’m selling here except it has an extra connection point for integration into the autopilot system. So I had no choice but to swap them out. A bit annoying given Garmin could have just provided a cover for the unused connection if you don’t have an autopilot. But it does highlight the accuracy of this sensor. Garmin’s less expensive sensor is not accurate enough to be utilized by an autopilot system. So it suggests to me that I wouldn’t be getting the most accurate info when I needed it most.
Cheers.

Thanks for the info Eriks. I’m not in a rush so not a big deal if it doesn’t sell quickly. Anyone who has garmin radar will eventually look for a heading sensor to provide accurate chart overlays ... at least if they use the boat regularly and end up in a situation with heavy fog :). Garmin does have a less expensive heading sensor but it isn’t as accurate .. especially at low speeds. The orientation of the bow in the onscreen return is less accurate on the less expensive sensor units so if you’re trying to retrace your path at a slow speed in a bit of chop or swell, it’s easier to end up off course. And I’ve found when you’re stuck in fog or caught out after dark, you will likely be traveling at a slow speed. No doubt this is a higher end sensor ... the highest end unit they make for that matter. But I justified the few hundred dollars more by wanting to know I had the most precise return and heading info on my screen when the situation arises. A few hundred dollars seems insignificant when you’re caught in a fog bank or out after dark for that matter.

The heading sensor that Garmin sells for the autopilot setup turns out to be identical to what I’m selling here except it has an extra connection point for integration into the autopilot system. So I had no choice but to swap them out. A bit annoying given Garmin could have just provided a cover for the unused connection if you don’t have an autopilot. But it does highlight the accuracy of this sensor. Garmin’s less expensive sensor is not accurate enough to be utilized by an autopilot system. So it suggests to me that I wouldn’t be getting the most accurate info when I needed it most.
Cheers.
Just curious if this unit was sold as am looking to buy one

It’s still available - I haven’t been in a rush to sell it and was going to post it in the spring. It’s in basically new condition.

Sounds good - ya I installed the fantom 24 garmin radome a few years ago and it works great with the garmin line of chartplotter a. Used it to get back from 100 miles offshore with 70miles of thick fog. The heading sensor makes all the difference for accuracy for the chart overlay options and it’s super easy to install - basically plug & play into the NMEA 2000 backbone. Only reason I removed mine is that the autopilot system I installed came with its own autopilot. Garmin used to have a more entry level heading sensor (maybe they still do) but it didn’t refresh fast enough to provide accurate position info at slower speeds … like when you’re in a fog! :) Hope the install goes well

Sounds good - ya I installed the fantom 24 garmin radome a few years ago and it works great with the garmin line of chartplotter a. Used it to get back from 100 miles offshore with 70miles of thick fog. The heading sensor makes all the difference for accuracy for the chart overlay options and it’s super easy to install - basically plug & play into the NMEA 2000 backbone. Only reason I removed mine is that the autopilot system I installed came with its own autopilot. Garmin used to have a more entry level heading sensor (maybe they still do) but it didn’t refresh fast enough to provide accurate position info at slower speeds … like when you’re in a fog! :) Hope the install goes well
Yes its nice to have a radar when that happens. We have all Garmin electronics and all sync up radar is next on the list probably the 18 as boat
is only 24ft. haven't ordered yet but soon.

I have a 24’ as well and went with the next size up. I thought it would be too big but it wasn’t at all. And you get better image resolution. Something to consider at least. Very glad I went with the 24” version.

I have a 24’ as well and went with the next size up. I thought it would be too big but it wasn’t at all. And you get better image resolution. Something to consider at least. Very glad I went with the 24” version.
Thats interesting thanks for the info probably the dome is the same size or not much larger

It seems large when you open the box - but it’s really the perfect size for a 24’ boat once installed. Here’s a photo of my boat from the side with the fantom 24

Attachments

• 8A55A0AC-3C64-4626-BEC5-B1D985B6482F.jpeg
    8A55A0AC-3C64-4626-BEC5-B1D985B6482F.jpeg
    243 KB · Views: 27
It seems large when you open the box - but it’s really the perfect size for a 24’ boat once installed. Here’s a photo of my boat from the side with the fantom 24
Looks great on a nice looking boat. My issue is I have my boat in an shed that barely is tall enough for hardtop so we are looking at a folding
mount so when it goes inside we can lower it

Ah ok - makes sense. Hope the install goes well - I spent quite a bit of time laying it out and it all came together nicely. I’m a big fan of Garmin. Everything integrates efficiently, the menus are very well though out and intuitive, and their tech support is excellent.

Looks great on a nice looking boat. My issue is I have my boat in an shed that barely is tall enough for hardtop so we are looking at a folding
mount so when it goes inside we can lower it
Ah ok - makes sense. Hope the install goes well - I spent quite a bit of time laying it out and it all came together nicely. I’m a big fan of Garmin. Everything integrates efficiently, the menus are very well though out and intuitive, and their tech support is excellent
Thanks just looking for the right mount Probably order radar soon then the fun starts laying things outtempImageri0dST.jpg

Nice - my buddy has a Striper as well. If you’re able to, I’d suggest adding and AIS receiver to your setup - it compliments radar nicely allowing you to see any boat that has an AIS transmitter - all commercial boats are required to have it. I upgraded my VHF radio to a garmin with AIS capability. You just connect it to the NMEA 2000 backbone with a NMEA 2k drop cable and that’s it.

Nice - my buddy has a Striper as well. If you’re able to, I’d suggest adding and AIS receiver to your setup - it compliments radar nicely allowing you to see any boat that has an AIS transmitter - all commercial boats are required to have it. I upgraded my VHF radio to a garmin with AIS capability. You just connect it to the NMEA 2000 backbone with a NMEA 2k drop cable and that’s it.
Yes thats in the plans also would be good idea. Put new power on in the spring and a new Garmin in the stern next is radar not sure when the list ends.
lol

I went with the 18" Fantom on my Commander 30 and really like it. The $1100 uplift for the 24" did not seem justified for me.
Similar to Sartoga we were in the fog for 5 hours from Race Rocks to Bamfield inlet a few years ago. Works great. See everything.
Personally don't like the chart overlay for the most part as I find it too cluttered. I have 2 displays at the helm so in fog can run one dedicated to radar

Back