Garmin 172c or 178 c

flytyer

Hey guys, anyone have either of these 2 units with the built in antenna? Just wondering if you have any problems working with the top up? or any problems when offshore on the banks? Lookin at one on ebay and not sure to go with built in or external.

[8D]

i have 172c with internal... no problem , works great
just mount it where the unit has a clear shot to the sky.
soft tops are not an issue, the unit receives the signal
fine.

No detail on the preloaded map, you need to get the blue chart
which is a chip showing full detail of each region.
not cheap though. i believe they sell for $169-$189

FYI - I actually had a problem with my softtop blocking my gps. I had to remount the stand further forward closer to the glass to resolve the problem. Works fine now but not sure if someone with a fairly straight up/down windshield would have a problem....

I've got the 178C in a 1802 trophy with the bimini enclosure, no issues with the internal antenna. Very nice unit

r.s craven:
Have you ordered from these guys? international shipping is $40 plus 2% of the order, is this true for canada or do you know?

I had my stuff shipped to a buddy in Seattle and he brought it
back with him. therefore saved the tax,duty, brokerage etc.
i can't see them charging the $40 if it was mailed but ???
maybe they won't do it.
probly worth a phone call.

I have both of those units. The 172c has a built in antenna and works about 99 percent of the time under a soft top and close to the window. When it does loose the signal it gets it back withing 30 seconds. Now why do I have one each? The little lady let me buy a new boat with all new electronics last fall. So, I picked up the 178c with an outside antenna as the new boat is a hard top and the window is furher away from the mounting area. Lets hear it for the wife! By the way, she loves to fish, doesn't get sea sick and likes to clean the fish because I can't do it right. Thank the Lord I found her before someone else. Take care and check your drag. :D

She can pour a good drink, however she is a wine drinker. Never drink the stuff (wine) myself after getting drunk and sick on it (Thunderbird) once upon a time when I was younger. [xx(] Is anyone going to be in Ucluelet the last two weeks of July? If so let me know as we will be fishing out of Island West then.

Back