Galvanic Corrosion?

Jeteye

Happy New Year Everybody.
I am thinking about mooring my boat in a salt water marina this summer from early June to mid September. I normally pull it, flush it and store it on dry land when not in use but things have changed for this year so i am considering the mooring option. Here's the question, my biggest concern is Galvanic Corrosion. Yes i have sacrificial anodes on the boat and both engines and i replace them when they start looking bad. Will physically disconnecting the batteries when not in use reduce or minimize Galvanic Corrosion?.

24 foot welded aluminum with 300 Yam and 9.9 Yam.

Thanks in advance.

I would probably get the bottom painted properly for an aluminum boat. added bonus of stopping the growth on the hull.

Make sure you properly prep the hull for paint or it will not adhere well and you end up painting more frequently which is costly and a pain in the butt.

Hi Jeteye. If some of your electrical ground connections are to the hull or anywhere else besides the negative battery terminal, then disconnecting the battery would reduce but not eliminate galvanic corrosion - HOWEVER I think you would want a functioning bilge pump while in the water.

you can also hang sacrificial anodes of your boat while moored. and a good bottom paint job! i also added anodes midship to absorb any corrosion.

I think you need to be carful wirn the marina and the boats u tie up beside. Hot marina or or hot boat beside u can do damage quick. Spend the time to make sure you have insulated any dissimilar metals with nylon bushing or silicon. Bottom paint is a must for that length of time. Anodes on trim tabs or kicker guards is another good thing to have. Some also put a anode in the bilge

Back