furuno or lowrance?

Between lowrance and furuno i'd say it really depends what you will be doing with your boat. For simple fishing, Lowrance all the way. They are reasonably priced and very easy to just pick up and go with a simple, user friendly interface. Also with their structure scan paired with a standard dual beam transducer the sonar capability of lowrance is equal to or better than the rest.

Furuno in my opinion is much better if you want to cruise and travel the coast. Their rastor and vector maps are very slick. The downside to Furuno if you've never had one is how difficult they are to simply pick up and work. Their interface is anything but user friendly.

I'm thinking it's a Coke/Pepsi thing (cash outlay aside)

A few years ago, my new to me boat came with Lowrance HD-10 and Lowrance broad beam radar. I fiddled with that stuff for a few trips, then stripped it all off and stuck Furuno Navnet and UHD radar in the boat --- I NEVER looked back.

Cruising and traveling the coast? Maybe. But lets not forget tHE Furuno DFF1, 585, 587 sonar /fish finders ---- when you hook up one of those units to a big-screen Furuno MFD they are hard to beat, especially if they're getting lit up by one of those big Airmar transducers

I'm a Coke guy (but speaking of cash outlays, I'd have been money ahead if I'd had just a plain old fashion coke habit...ha ha)

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now I have the Furuno FCV-620/585 ech sounder.....I love it, just picked up the boat and that is what was in it. Just took a little bit to get used too. I had a Lowrance, nice units but this is much better.

Garmin. Really user friendly and great software. Like the new XS chrip sounder on the boat. Lucky to have it.

Back