Fuel leaking, where?

AlK

1998 Merc 200 EFI
The other day I was changing the oil in the leg on my motor and when I was finished I trimmed the motor up as high as it would go. A few minutes later I noticed quite a bit of fuel (mixed with oil) had leaked into the splash well. This is not a carb engine so I am wondering where the fuel is coming from. I don’t think this is normal, any idea where it is leaking from?

Had a similar problem on a Johnson 140 crossflow. In my case it was a leak from the hose from fuel pump to carbs. If you say the fuel has oil mixed with it, then the leak is downstream of the fuel/oil pump. Typical locations for leaks are where fuel lines make sharp turns or attachments to fixtures, older hoses get brittle and crack. I guess with EFI you don't have a primer ball to put fuel pressure on the system, but you could remove spark plugs and have someone turn the engine over while you watch for leaks, that should pressurise the fuel lines and show up any drips. Sorry if this is inaccurate, no experience with EFI outboards.

I found the leak, the gasket between the top and bottom housing needs to be replaced.

Back