Fuel consumption

terrin

I’m thinking of putting in a fuel flow meter for my 350 sbc to tweak the carburetor for best mileage setting. What model fuel flow meters are available? Thanks

Lowrance make a fuel flow sensor designed to connect into a NMEA 2000 network. You can display the data on most plotter/sounder models with network capability since NMEA is a marine industry standard for serial data. For me it was a simple plug and play experience. Can show fuel consumption in gph, or use GPS data to show economy in mpg. I watch mpg while running and use it to trim the boat for best economy as wind, tide and sea conditions affect the boat.

Screenshot_20230626_063849_Amazon Shopping.jpgScreenshot_20230626_063557_Google.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230626_063557_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20230626_063557_Google.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1
I have the Lowrance unit also and have found it useful in a couple of ways. I used it to determine my optimum cruising speed by charting speed and fuel consumption at different rpm’s. A little bit of calculation and you know optimism rpm for efficient cruising. Turned out mine was pretty much right on the theoretical rpm, 3900 rpm giving 28.4 mph.

I check fuel consumption occasionally. I thought fuel use was high one time, checked, and it was. I took the boat to the Yamaha dealer who advised the motor would have blown up if I had just kept running it. Think it was a low pressure fuel pump failing?

I put a Garmin gfs10 on my 350sbc with the 4 barrel carb- nmea2000 to my garmin plotter. Last time out was the first time using it so don’t have a pile of data yet- running 8-12gph at cruising speed (8 barely on step)….I think it was 15 gph closer to wot.

I purchased an Interactio fuel flow sensor about 5 years ago. I was really happy with its performance. Its an actual flow meter so it gives you exact burn. Its simple to install. Just splice it into your fuel line and connect to the app. It shows fuel burn and has a range circle that turns from red to green when you are in the best mpg zone. I just swapped over to twin outboards so let me know if you are interested in it. Located in Victoria

I purchased an Interactio fuel flow sensor about 5 years ago. I was really happy with its performance. Its an actual flow meter so it gives you exact burn. Its simple to install. Just splice it into your fuel line and connect to the app. It shows fuel burn and has a range circle that turns from red to green when you are in the best mpg zone. I just swapped over to twin outboards so let me know if you are interested in it. Located in Victoria
I am interested in it if @terrin isn't.
How much do you want for it?

I had one took it off does it matter ? its a boat fill it to top go fishing for the day and refill base that on what you spend per day GAS is the cheapest thing in your boat .
Just for debate so spend 200 to 500 bucks on a meter to tell you what you spend in a day??? how you saving money that way LOL basically most bigger boat burn anywhere 10 to 15 GPH, its gas and your gonna use it saving a buck or 2 isnt gonna change much. especially when you buy 1000 reels and rod set up 2000 in gear simms rainpants etc LOL LOL

Back