Fuel sensor recommendation- Garmin GFS 10?

the force

Crew Member
Hey Crew, I’ve got a carberated 5.7L mercruiser, 82gallon fuel tank and in-line electric fuel pump on my boat that I’m looking to get some better insight into fuel management (use, range, etc to help plan longer trips). I also have a Nissan 25hp 4-stroke tied into the main tank. I’ve got a garmin echomap chirp 93sv sonar so am figuring the GFS 10 to nimea is likely the best route?
The specs I could find for the kicker indicate 2.3gph at 5500rpm, and GFS10 sows minimum fuel flow as 2gpm… I’m assuming the majority of my trolling will go untracked, which is a minor amount and not likely a big deal.

Fuel tracking is all new to me, anything else or alternative sensors I should consider before I drop a couple hundred bucks on the garmin?

Thanks!

Even with idling with modern gas outboard engines they are rated at numbers as low as .10 GPH. There's tons of products out there, however if you want it on screen then you doing either OEM display unit parts (garmin in your case) or Maretron stuff. Which you'll spend 1200 bucks on material on a deal

My buddy had a similar motor package. He used 10-12 gal/hr at cruise. Usually around 3500-3800rpm. WOT 4400-4600. Easy to plan for fuel consumption when you use Navionics and measure distances. If you know your cruise speed and fuel consumption, then calculate and plan fuel stops. I also always try to use the rule of 1/3 out, 1/3 back, and 1/3 in reserve rule, when leaving on a day trip. Fill the tank accordingly.

Hey Crew, I’ve got a carberated 5.7L mercruiser, 82gallon fuel tank and in-line electric fuel pump on my boat that I’m looking to get some better insight into fuel management (use, range, etc to help plan longer trips). I also have a Nissan 25hp 4-stroke tied into the main tank. I’ve got a garmin echomap chirp 93sv sonar so am figuring the GFS 10 to nimea is likely the best route?
The specs I could find for the kicker indicate 2.3gph at 5500rpm, and GFS10 sows minimum fuel flow as 2gpm… I’m assuming the majority of my trolling will go untracked, which is a minor amount and not likely a big deal.

Fuel tracking is all new to me, anything else or alternative sensors I should consider before I drop a couple hundred bucks on the garmin?

Thanks!
PM sent

Back