frozen cables

quote:Originally posted by saltspringer

any suggestions how to loosen up frozen control cables? Thanks, Saltspringer

Buy new ones.

You can try getting some WD40 or other penetrating oil into them, but if they are frozen solid, your chances are not good.

IF you do get them freed up, then you run the risk of them breaking while out on the water. Not good. I've had two break over the years. One left me in neutral, one left me stuck in reverse.

Also, be aware that there are two grades of cables, the premium one is only about $5 more than the cheaper one - go premium, it's worth it.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

I had the same problem last summer and fought with them all year until they froze completely. I bought TFXtreme cables which are smooth as butter from BOATERSLAND.COM They were easy to install.

An additional thing I just remembered. On Jamaha at least the prop on the larger engines needs to be turned by someone as you enguage and shift the new cables to try them out. I didn't know that and thought I had screwed something up. The dealer set me straight. The lower unit dogs have to align to allow it to shift out of neutral and this is accomplished as the prop turns.

just put in new TFExtreme cables. Can't believe the difference..so much smoother and easier. Thanks for the input..Saltspringer

I paid $50 US each for two 11 footers but you can get them cheaper on line..just google tfextreme and you will get several outlets. Really easy to put in and as I did it myself,no cost. Saltspringer

Back