Fresh water flush of inboard engine and jet

I am trying to find some information on how to flush my inboard engine and/or jet with fresh water after I go into the salt. Lots of people simply say to head to fresh water to flush it all out but that isn't going to be practical for me most of the time. is there some accepted method of flushing with fresh water from your garden hose similar to what those who have a prop do? Even if I can't flush the jet there must be some way to flush the cooling system of the engine?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I run an American Turbine SD309 jet behind a 230 hp 4.3 Vortec. It sees the salt 4-6 times a year. I started using Salt Away 4 years ago and it works well. I have the metering attachment and a short garden hose with female fitting on both ends. This attaches to the drain connection between the jet and heat exchanger and flushes salt away concentrate through the heat exchanger and also back flows through the jet. All this is done without engine running.
The same metering piece attaches to the dog eared kicker flush attachment and I run that with kicker running for a couple of minutes. Leave the salt away in kicker and main engine cooling systems,do not rinse out. Of course the main engine only gets flushed through the heat exchanger as salt water does not enter the engine block,just the heat exchanger.
Seems to be a good product and has reduced the salt corrosion drastically .
Before,I just relied on running the boat in freshwater after the salt bath.. Not the best solution...

abbyfireguy: I don't know what the metering attachment is that you are referring to. where would I pick one up? I have looked on the engine and can't find a drain connection on my engine anywhere near the heat exchanger. Did you plumb one in yourself or does it come with your engine? I heard that Thunderjets have one as standard equipment, but my North River does not appear to have one. What you are doing is what I would like to be able to do with mine...

I think the new Volvo penta's come with a flush kit installed? There are a number of after market kits available. I have been looking at doing something similar because my boat is moored in the ocean year round!

Most Jetboat manufacturers put a drain/flush attachment cap at the lowest point in the supply line from the jet to the heat exchanger. Makes it much easier to drain for winterizing and attaching a flush hose.

Steveston Marine sells SaltAway products..

This! I've used Saltaway for several years now and highly recommend it for flushing your engine,and also for any parts of
your trailer that get dunked when you launch.This is where I've noticed its effectivness the most.This stuff really works!

This is what I use to apply the SaltAway on the end of a garden hose with a short hose with double female ends.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 224
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 220
Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I use to apply the SaltAway on the end of a garden hose with a short hose with double female ends.
That stuff's the **** man. Can,t say enough good about it.Reletively cheap as well.A quart is about $18.00 or so and
goes a long ways.

Back