Freezing Crab?

I used the search for topics regarding freezing crab, but my computer is slow and there are 52 pages with crab in the topic.
I just need to know if there is a way to freeze crab.
My daughter wants to have a seafood party and I don't believe that 4 crabs would be enough to satisfy all her guests.
Any input would be appreciated.

if you are at home,clean then cook(boil or steam)in salt water,then cool under cold water. then you can freeze your crab...important when you reheat your frozen cooked crab is do not thaw...boil your salted water and recook frozen..hope this helps

Groceries due it all the time. QFC currently has "previously" frozen Dungeness!
Just make sure you cook it first and Do NOT vacuum pack whole crab. I tried that once and it's not a pretty site! [:I]

Maybe this will help you. It comes from a good site regarding crab!

"Whole crab must be cooled down before freezing, if you have just boiled the crab. Next, you want to cut the tips of the legs. You can use kitchen shears to do this. Then you won't have the pointy ends poking through the freezer bags or whatever kind of freezer paper you choose to use.

Next, tuck the crab legs in around the belly of the crab. Then, simply place them in a gallon size freezer bag or freezer paper. Then, stick them in your freezer!"

http://www.crab-o-licious.com/how-to-freeze-crab.html

Cook and cool, then shuck your crab. Put it in ziploc bags rolling out most of the air but don't squish it. Freeze. when frozen take it out, unzip the bag and drizzle cold water in slowly (a couple teaspoons) until the crab is all glazed over with no frosty bits. Put it back in the freezer untill you need it. This is cooked crab so thaw it on some paper towels in the fridge, don't boil it. It'll taste just like you shucked it, done it many times.[:p]

LET GO OF THE REEL!!!

Hello.

We save the larger peanut butter containers for freezing crab.

Clean your crab as you would to cook it, but don't cook it.
Put enough crab in a container to pretty much fill it, then add water, salt or fresh, and freeze away.

When the time comes, just thaw and cook the crab.

This method works well as a storage method for a surprising length of time.

Roo.

We didn't have any luck freezing it raw, when thawed and cooked it stuck in the shell so bad you couldn't get it out. We always clean and cook it. If we are in a shucking mood we do and vacuum pack it. Excellent. Just make sure you open the bag and get the meat out before it thaws completely. We also freeze it cooked, in the shell, but that dries out within a month or so, so it is only good for the short term, but will suffice for something like preparing for a party. I like the idea of raw in water. Might have to try that one. One trick if you have kept it too long in the freezer is to add a little oil and some spices to the water. Moistens it up.

I've always done mine just like blindpig, works great. Except for the part about lasting a year or more. Mine is usually devoured well before that!

quote:Originally posted by Extractor

I've always done mine just like blindpig, works great. Except for the part about lasting a year or more. Mine is usually devoured well before that!

X2. Doesn't last that long. We're out in a couple of months then out getting some more.

I always clean my crabs at the dock or at home right away. That means cracking off the shell and cleaning them before</u> I cook them. I then cook the halves and then put them in a big bowl covered in the fridge overnight. The next day we shuck them and vacuum pack the meat. When we need some I thaw the vacuum bag in water until thawed. It tastes just like it would fresh from the shell. Enjoy.

"I'm not talkin bout pleasure boatin or day sailin......I'm talkin bout workin for a livin"- Captain Quint

Whatever you do DONT clean your crab at the dock as it is against the law and if fisheries see you doing it they will ding you for it.

I know it sucks i hate it but its to make sure undersized crab arent being taken

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Whatever you do DONT clean your crab at the dock as it is against the law and if fisheries see you doing it they will ding you for it.

I know it sucks i hate it but its to make sure undersized crab arent being taken

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Hmmm... I used to do it all the time? [:I]

"Crabs must have their carapace (shell) attached so they can be readily counted, measured and identified until such time as they arrive at your ordinary residence."

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/SFG-GPS/SFGtidal-GPSmaree-eng.pdf

But the regs do say attached! :(

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Good post Wolf. Bad advice on my part. I usually bring them home in a bucket of saltwater and do them there (I live real close to the ramp) but I have done them at the dock in the past[:I].

"I'm not talkin bout pleasure boatin or day sailin......I'm talkin bout workin for a livin"- Captain Quint

Ok, slightly off topic but very interested in answers. I have ALWAYS cooked crab in a live state and cleaned them after they cool enough to handle.I know that a lot of people clean them and then cook them. Whenever you see anyone on tv cooking crab or lobster it is always into the pot of boiling water when still alive. Not sure where I heard it but was always led to believe it was a bad idea to kill them first but know a lot of people do.
I bought one of those propane fired rigs for deep frying turkeys and it is great as you can do up to 8 large crabs at once.
Crabbing has been great this year. Pulled a pot last saturday that was down an hour and it had 17 crab in it and twelve were legal but only two of us on boat with licences so has to cull out the best 8.
I freeze it in the shell but don`t have to worry much about freezer burn as it`s usually gone pretty quick.

I have had great luck keeping crab good for a year in the freezer. I cook the crab live, let them cool, clean them, crack them, put the meat in a vacuum pack bag and set it in the freezer for about 2 hours UNSEALED. I then vacuum seal the bag and throw it in the deep freeze. I have found that letting the meat get a good freeze on it before sealing will keep the vacuum packer from sucking all the juice out.

Someone posted a while back about vacuum packing shrimp by putting them between 2 paper plates to keep them from puncturing the bag. I borrowed the idea for crab. I clean them, cook them, and freeze them vacuum packed between the plates. They turn out great.

Just an observation about the freezing raw thing. Everything I have ever read on crab says it MUST be cooked as soon as killed. Crab decompose extremely fast for whatever reason and produce toxins that can make you very sick.[xx(]

As far as to clean or not to clean, I have always been a fan of cleaning first. Some people seem to think the guts add flavor but I think I'll pass. Crab being scavengers and all. All the nasties they pick up will be concentrated in the viscera.:(

One other important thing that should be mentioned is that you should use salt water or add salt to your water. The crab will get mushy if you don't.

Bon Appetite[8D]

I have frozen before cooking for years as well and had no problems. I find I can serve up warm cooked crab without cooking it twice. I have always been curious if there was a down side but still can't find a absolute answer?

I am also currently about to do this. Every year I catch extra and then clean them and halve them and freeze. The only issue I get is the meat sticky to the shell.

To tonight I will blanch them for a few minutes then let sit in the fridge then freeze them. My question is how well does it taste cooked a 2nd time?

Cracking and removing the meat before freezing them seems like you lose half the fun when your going to eat them ;)

Back