Fred’s custom tackle fishing derby

Posted on FWR

Yesterday's Boxing Day Derby has been postponed to January 14th due to the current poor river conditions. As many followed the drama online, the only fish weighed in by one individual was eventually disqualified after it was determined that the fish was caught on a different day, from a different river system, and not even by the same individual.

As I wrote in a comment yesterday, to be a winner is more than just catching the only or the largest fish in a derby. It's about earning integrity, credibility and respect from your peers. The individual who chose to cheat possesses none of these qualities. Rather than talking about the pathetic stunt, let's focus what's really important here.

The true winner of this long tradition is supposed to be the fish, as all proceeds from the derby will be donated back to protect and restore more habitat along the Chilliwack River. This derby is here to create a common goal and bond within the angling community. Don't lose sight of that due to one person's wrong doing.

I've read a few comments that suggests Fred's Custom Tackle should have done more and they are disappointed by yesterday's outcome. Before you cast those judgements, please keep in mind that you're talking about an establishment which picked up a duty that no one else has shown any interest to take on. Fred and his team don't need to deal with this. They could have just focused on their Boxing Day sale. Instead, Fred has gathered the sponsors, put in his own dimes, used his staff to make the event successful. It's not perfect, but at least someone is doing it. If anyone who thinks they can do better, then you should have a talk with Fred personally and volunteer your time for the next derby.

With that said, consider taking part on January 14th and purchasing your derby ticket if you haven't done so. The goal is to raise $30,000 this season from both this derby and the Wally Hall Junior Memorial Derby combined. Part of this money will then be matched by organizations like The Steelhead Society of B.C., and the total amount will be donated to Fraser Valley Watersheds Coalition for future habitat work.

Enjoy the rest of 2022, and good luck to all in the derby and throughout this winter steelhead season! 👍

Posted on FWR

Yesterday's Boxing Day Derby has been postponed to January 14th due to the current poor river conditions. As many followed the drama online, the only fish weighed in by one individual was eventually disqualified after it was determined that the fish was caught on a different day, from a different river system, and not even by the same individual.

As I wrote in a comment yesterday, to be a winner is more than just catching the only or the largest fish in a derby. It's about earning integrity, credibility and respect from your peers. The individual who chose to cheat possesses none of these qualities. Rather than talking about the pathetic stunt, let's focus what's really important here.

The true winner of this long tradition is supposed to be the fish, as all proceeds from the derby will be donated back to protect and restore more habitat along the Chilliwack River. This derby is here to create a common goal and bond within the angling community. Don't lose sight of that due to one person's wrong doing.

I've read a few comments that suggests Fred's Custom Tackle should have done more and they are disappointed by yesterday's outcome. Before you cast those judgements, please keep in mind that you're talking about an establishment which picked up a duty that no one else has shown any interest to take on. Fred and his team don't need to deal with this. They could have just focused on their Boxing Day sale. Instead, Fred has gathered the sponsors, put in his own dimes, used his staff to make the event successful. It's not perfect, but at least someone is doing it. If anyone who thinks they can do better, then you should have a talk with Fred personally and volunteer your time for the next derby.

With that said, consider taking part on January 14th and purchasing your derby ticket if you haven't done so. The goal is to raise $30,000 this season from both this derby and the Wally Hall Junior Memorial Derby combined. Part of this money will then be matched by organizations like The Steelhead Society of B.C., and the total amount will be donated to Fraser Valley Watersheds Coalition for future habitat work.

Enjoy the rest of 2022, and good luck to all in the derby and throughout this winter steelhead season! 👍
Pathetic what people do . I’m glad he got busted .
Keep up the great work Fred 👍

There already making memes of this kid. I don’t want to contribute and share them as there easy to find . Think this kids fishing days on the vedder are numbered 🤣

The Boxing day derby is a joke.
I agree, until a few years ago it was a huge joke, and as a rule I don't support derbies . However, and now, proceeds from this derby, along with the proceeds from annual Wally Hall Jr derby are going to strategic salmon habitat restoration projects on the Chilliwack River. It is hoped this year the 2 derbies will generate app. 40 k which is easily levered into over 100k by the money keepers, the Fraser Valley Watersheds Coalition. As a bonus the SSBC is also supporting this financially.

Back