Fraser Sockeye Opening

quote:Originally posted by cletus

is this the banana your refering to? http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/x...m?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=126429&ID=all

You are correct that DFO does seem to refer now to area 29-10 29-9 29-7 and 29-6 as "known as the banana" but in my post above I have stated I think that is not correct. The old banana I remember ( and DFO used to publish this years ago) was east of a line from QA to TA which is different than the sub areas of area 29 stated above. The sub areas above demonstrate a line from North arm jetty through sandheads light. No big deal but interesting.

new updates indicate all tidal portions of fraser river to mission, up to area 29-17, go get em boyz, fresh water portion not open yet.

ht

I was out today off the fraser mouth and got none, saw none caught and did nor see any jumping. there was about 10 boats around.

Out at Two Bit & Popular today for 3-4 hrs and while I saw a few sockeye jumping there were none caught.

I was out last night for about 3 hours and we boated 1 sockeye, missed one and hit a lot of dogfish. saw lots jumping/finning and lots on sonar. Should be getting a lot better in the next few days/weeks. pink squirts/hootchies behind red flashers.

Cory
Exposure Travel - exclusive guided adventure travel in BC
www.exposure.travel
Sick Fishng Videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/exposuretravel

Hey tincan, you come out of the south arm or farther north ? where were you fish'in ? Sandheads? Hooter? Middle arm ?

Seeing schools is VERY important - when we start seeing big schools on the sounder and can stay on those schools ( or there are several of them to run over) we'll see great catches.

So far I have checked several sources and either no fish hit yesterday or 1-2 hits, maybe one landed is all. The reports of the odd fish hit and landed seem to be coming from wayyy south - south of Sandheads at this time.

Last I heard the 'split' was such that a much higher percentage of the run is via WCVI route as opposed to inside - perhaps more schools will be hitting south arm from the south then.

Wanna get some kids out but it really should be busy for them to keep their attention/excitement going - not enough big schools just yet for those multiples evey few minutes !!

Opening for sockeye above Mission (non-tidal) starting Monday, Aug 9th - see below

The current status of the Fraser River sockeye return provides for recreational
sockeye retention opportunities in the non-tidal waters of the Fraser River in
Region 2.

Effective one hour before sunrise Monday, August 9, 2010 until further notice,
in those waters of the Fraser River in Region 2 (non-tidal Fraser River)
retention of sockeye is permitted with a daily limit of two (2) per day.

Further to FN0569 a sockeye hook and release mortality study will be operating
on Grassy Bar on August 9 to 13, 16 to 20 and 23 to 27. A component of this
study is to catch sockeye by beach seine. Operating a beach seine effectively
uses a significant portion of the bar and anglers/vessels cannot be in the
area. On the following dates a significant portion of Grassy Bar will be
utilized by the study for the beach seine component and be unavailable for
recreational angling: August 12, 17, 19 and 26. The Department requests your
cooperation with making alternate fishing arrangements on these dates.

Notes:
Anglers are requested to release any hatchery marked sockeye. These fish are
hatchery raised sockeye and part of a recovery program designed to increase the
numbers of Cultus Lake sockeye.

Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the voluntary Salmon Sport Head
Recovery program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped
chinook and coho salmon. Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical
information for coast-wide stock assessment. Contact the Salmon Sport Head
Recovery Program at (866) 483-9994 for further information.

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call
the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line
at (800) 465-4336.

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at (866) 431-
FISH.

Variation Order No. 2010-332.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

For more information contact the local DFO office in your area for updated
information as it becomes available.

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0610
Sent August 6, 2010 at 1523

Was out thursday for 7 hrs. 2 hits right on hw slack fished sandheads down to deltaport ,.Jumpers all over but to no avail, nice day though:D

fished south of T-10 yesterday and ran into 2 nice schools of sockeye where all 4 lines went off. We didn't limit out on the afternoon but came close. fun day on the water. will be heading out again soon.

Lots of Sox down there. Some of the schools are massive with Sox up to 11 lbs. Easy limits for all on board. Last night, one boat finished up with 24 Sox...6 anglers on board. He was filleting for a long time...LOL..... keep the school on your boat, and you can work wonders. [:p][:p][:p]

Is this an all day fishery or first light? I know in Alberni Inlet it can all be over by 7a.m. sometimes.

quote:Originally posted by demco99

what gear is working best for em fishin magician?

Sockeye Squirts-- all the usual suspects. They are clear across the Strait...jumping all over the place. At one point there were 100 fish in the air consistently--it didn't matter what direction you were looking.

Back