Fraser river sockeye

One test set in the river today was 500 pieces. They pretty much have to open it. We'll know by tomorrow hopefully. They don't open commercial then kiss the rec sector goodbye

I feel like I should have picked a different hobby 10 years ago when I got into ocean fishing.

I feel like I should have picked a different hobby 10 years ago when I got into ocean fishing.
this is why we chose to live on the west coast, we should have a better government, one that would manage its DFO, not encourage it to become radical activists

This is why it hasn't opened. My opinion. Read that statement carefully:

WWSS: How about our Chinook fishery?

Greg: The recreational fishery continues strong on hatchery fish, but many of our wild Chinook populations continue to struggle and are therefore impacted by the large, poorly monitored, recreational fishery throughout BC. So, while it’s a successful fishery in terms of catch, its impact on wild populations is a concern.

When I speak of poor monitoring, I will provide just one concrete example. Most large fisheries require robust genetic stock information on the in-season catch to identify and protect stocks of concern. We are still waiting for genetic stock information from the 2021 recreational fishery, almost 12 months after the conclusion of the fishery. And this fishery is significant because the recreational sector has been awarded 95 per cent of the total recreational and commercial catch of Chinook.

elaborate please
From FB

Fraser Panel meeting not going well. At the moment it looks like everything will be pushed off and another meeting tomorrow. There is a disagreement between the various parties about how much fish is still coming from seaward into the panel waters.

There should be a proper update available once the meeting is over. Very disappointing.

One of the problems is the Americans are fishing and they don't need permission. The early runs are low and the late runs are plentiful, with no way to selectively fish. They are giving the FN their fish and more even though there is a concern for the early run escapement

One of the problems is the Americans are fishing and they don't need permission. The early runs are low and the late runs are plentiful, with no way to selectively fish. They are giving the FN their fish and more even though there is a concern for the early run escapement
Why is that a problem? If they are fishing our Fraser stocks we should also be fishing our own Fraser stocks.

Why is that a problem? If they are fishing our Fraser stocks we should also be fishing our own Fraser stocks.
You don’t see a problem with Americans being able to fish Fraser fish while we sit on our butts? Or netting the river and catching the stocks of concern?

The fish are late as they seem to typically be these days. So the fish that are being caught are the ones that people should be concerned with

You don’t see a problem with Americans being able to fish Fraser fish while we sit on our butts? Or netting the river and catching the stocks of concern?

The fish are late as they seem to typically be these days. So the fish that are being caught are the ones that people should be concerned with
Unfortunately this is a common misconception, the fish aren't late. The numbers are not there. 9 million sockeye 4 years ago. Not even 2 million counted thus far.

Because the fraser panel is taking that into consideration on numbers. Within that there is no legal way according to what I've been told, for Washington to say no fishing boys it's not your fish. That make sense?

2.07 million to Mission
785k to Hells Gate.

Anybody see a problem here? Yes...there is a % still in the canyon and natural mortality.

How many have disappeared in that stretch of river?

2.07 million to Mission
785k to Hells Gate.

Anybody see a problem here? Yes...there is a % still in the canyon and natural mortality.

How many have disappeared in that stretch of river?

Don't know, FN do not log their catch nominally. Ther was in think 1.25 million allocated to ceremonial food fish

Last edited:
Back