Fraser River Sockeye 2017

High Time

Crew Member
Just received this bulletin from the Salmon Commission. Looks like another pending disaster for this years Sockeye return. Low flow,high temperatures,and hot weather for the next two weeks forecast. Interior of the province is burnng up. Donald says climate change is "fake news" yeah.....

Tuesday, July 11, 2017
The Fraser River Panel met Tuesday, July 11 to receive an update on the migration of Fraser River sockeye and review the status of migration conditions in the Fraser River watershed.
Very few sockeye have been caught to-date in Fraser River sockeye test fisheries. The Whonnock gillnet test fishery began on June 28, the Qualark gillnet test fishery began on July 1 and the Area 20 gillnet test fishery began on July 7. The Qualark and Mission hydroacoustics programs began July 1 and July 7, respectively. Assessments will improve later this week with the addition of Cottonwood and Area 12 gill net test fisheries. On July 10, the discharge of the Fraser River at Hope was 4,976 cms, which is approximately 13% below average for this date. The temperature of the Fraser River at Qualark Creek on July 10 was 17.30C, which is 1.50C higher than average for this date. Fraser River discharge levels and water temperatures will be monitored closely to determine if specific management actions are required during the in-river migratory period to help achieve sockeye escapement goals.
All Panel Area Waters remain closed to commercial salmon fishing.
The next in-season meeting of the Panel is scheduled to occur on Friday, July 14, 2017.

Won't know for certain for a couple of weeks. They only have like 5 days of test fishing data from 3 sports.

There are far bigger issues in play than a few limited openings on Fraser bound sockeye by any of the user groups. Normal nature, fish farms and the planet's adjustments with temperature will in my mind determine the sockeyes fate. I hope there is good science at least being thought of somewhere to assist the fish.

I have a nice view of the Fraser from my house. I see the gill nets out very often. Go there at dusk and you'll see the net come out.

I have a guy at work that is buying fish from his friend whose husband doesn't like sockeye so she sells it rather than eating it themselves..... sounds like a ceremonial fish.

A closure should be a closure. Let's lock it up for 5-6 years and see what the real problem is

This yr is a sub dominant yr... well known in advance and its just way the cycles work.
Nothing to get all alarmed about.
Just be ready for the next one.

Back