Fraser Pinks, caught in JDF, loaded with Sea Lice

Rockfish

We caught 8 pinks today, without really trying out off Sooke. They are very plentiful and a little larger size on average than we have sometimes seen in other odd number years. What was surprising however, was the exceptionally large number of Sea Lice on them, and not just around the anal fin where you typically see them where they are most protected from water flow as the salmon swims. The lice were also on the sides of the body etc. on some.
I don't recall ever seeing this many sea lice on Pinks going by Sooke and that goes back decades for me. About a week ago we did catch 9 Pinks and I don't recall seeing quite so many lice on them, at least it did not catch my attention at the time. You could not miss them today. There was also a lot of Pink size salmon jumping. Was this an attempt to try and shake off irritating lice?

This seems unusual to me, although I have noted a general increase of sea lice on all salmon species in JDF, compared to say 15 years ago. So is DFO looking into this? Any idea what is causing it? -- water temperature, or fish farms? My transducer has a temperature sensor on it and down approx. two feet, the water was rather warm today at 68 to 72 degrees F. assuming it is working correctly.

Last edited:
We caught 8 pinks today, without really trying out off Sooke. They are very plentiful and a little larger size on average than we have sometimes seen in other odd number years. What was surprising however, was the exceptionally large number of Sea Lice on them, and not just around the anal fin where you typically see them where they are most protected from water flow as the salmon swims. The lice were also on the sides of the body etc. on some.
I don't recall ever seeing this many sea lice on Pinks going by Sooke and that goes back decades for me. About a week ago we did catch 9 Pinks and I don't recall seeing quite so many lice on them, at least it did not catch my attention at the time. You could not miss them today. There was also a lot of Pink size salmon jumping. Was this an attempt to try and shake off irritating lice?

This seems unusual to me, although I have noted a general increase of sea lice on all salmon species in JDF, compared to say 15 years ago. So is DFO looking into this? Any idea what is causing it? -- water temperature, or fish farms? My transducer has a temperature sensor on it and down approx. two feet, the water was rather warm today at 68 to 72 degrees F. assuming it is working correctly.
That sea surface temp seems at least 10 degrees high. I would think high 50’s to maybe low 60’s would be very warm water for that area. That being said shallow water temperatures can fluctuate and placement of the measuring device can also be a factor.

Back