Fort St. John area summer fishing questions

BrockPatch

Hey folks,
I landed a job as a park attendant up at Charlie lake for the summer, so looks like all my fishing dreams could be coming true! I've heard Charlie has good numbers of pike and walleye. I'm also really interested in exploring the Peace river and any other smaller rivers in the area in hopes of landing some big bulls and grayling. I'm from PG so I know a thing or two about catching trout, but pike, walleye and grayling are all new to me. If you have any tips about the best ways to catch these species on spinning gear, or any info about nice spots on Charlie to fish(I'll only have my canoe, stationed at beatton provincial park), or nice areas to access the Peace or any other nearby rivers/streams, feel free to leave a few tips! I appreciate any help, thanks and have a good fishin season!

Medium sized dark Spinners for Walleye, larger flashier ones for Pike.

Pike are most fun taken on topwater baits but you need fish aggressive enough.

Cast right to the edge of the weeds and let the bait sit until the ripples die down then a bit longer and then just twitch the popper repeat as necessary all the way back to the boat.

These things are killer for Pike

images

For pile up there I had lots of fun with the plastic frogs with rotating legs that look like bath toys.

For walleye swim tail jigs (small) and medium crank baits have worked well for me. Fish structure, at about 12'.

Go super small for grayling, and bring a pan and butter too.

Have fun!

The Besa has some BIG bull trout! Try a big flashy streamer at the back of the pools in high water. I have nailed several 10 lbers accidently when I was playing a greyling and Mr Bull trout thought there was an easy meal! Just get away from the road into the back country.

walleye fishing is pretty awesome so far, managed to catch 1 small pike and im really waiting for the rivers to drop so i can fish for some bulls and grayling! anyone know if the beatton river is any good for fishing?

here's a nice walleye on charlie!View attachment 1387

Back