Formal Apology

Finished Business

Recently I posted an opinion in the Nootka Quota thread. After some time to think about exactly what I said, I realize that I was very wrong in my perception of what sportfishing is.

To start, I would like to sincerely apologize to all the guides I labelled as meat fisherman. I should have known better at the time, but my frustrations with lodge manipulation was no reason to include every small guide and charter operation, in the same boat. I know my comments offended A LOT of good people who truly love sportfishing, and rightfully so they be offended. Many, many guides have been so directly helpful through the forums, and at the docks, that for me to not realize that these are the people most passionate about the fish and the sport, was a tragic failing of mine. I realize that I have burnt possibly every bridge within the guide community by my post, something I greatly regret. Not for the reason of losing valuable information, or the next great fishing spot, but because I attacked honest, hard working people with no regard for them or their trade. For this, I am truly sorry.

South Vancouver Island Anglers Coalition:
It was not just one post, but many, that I cynically addressed what I thought were shortcomings of the organization, with little more reason or information than I could find with a few clicks of the mouse. I took the side of skeptic right away, without giving the organization a fair chance, and doing little personally to learn more. As a result, my posts were argumentative and accomplished absolutely nothing.
Given the recent posting of updates from SVIAC, I can see the efforts of the Board of Directors has been tireless, and I realize how lucky we are to have a group like this making efforts to unify and fight for sport fishing at all levels. I read, jaw-dropped, by their accomplishments to date, and fully understand that the individuals heading this charge are worthy of nothing but my respect. I hang my head and am extremely embarrassed of my past history on the forums when posting in regards to SVIAC. I would like to extend a sincere apology to this group, its President, Chris Bos, the Board of Directors, and all of its members. I'm sorry.

I am not looking for forgiveness, but an understanding that a guy can be wrong. WAY wrong! If anyone would like to voice their opinion, fire away. Post or PM, there is no doubt I deserve it and now would be the time.

Cheers,

- Finished Business -

PS. SVIAC, cheque is in the mail.

Everyone is wrong sometimes but it takes character to admit it and to apologize. I fully accept your sincere apology, also on behalf of SVIAC, and welcome you as a new member and someone who has now a very clear understanding what sportfishing is about and what a lot of good people in this province work hard for! Sometimes it just takes a little time to reflect! Right on!

Let me put it this way...I have way more respect for you now for being man enough to put that apology to writing...it is not an easy thing to do...I know. I respect you more in the same way I have more respect for someone who releases their largest ever spring salmon rather than bonk it. Apology accepted and the matter closed in my mind.

FB: I don't know you or this incident you reference - but I must say that this is one of the most mature, heartfelt and sincere posting I have ever read. Kudos to you for your guts and maturity to post this.

As I mentioned at the time Nick, everyone is indeed entitled to their own opinion. Imagine just how boring this planet would be if we all thought exactly the same way! That said, I believe I also noted that my (and that of many other guides) opinion could not differ more from that of your own. And yes, many were offended and angry with what you wrote.

Takes big cajones to publicly admit to being in error in this case, and to provide the sincere apology you have. That will likely go a long way towards dampening down the angst towards you over what was said, but realize, it will take time for some as well.

I am pleased that you have "Seen The Light" or "Error Of Your Ways" as the case may be. More pleased that you Manned Up and came on here to try and set the matter straight. Speaks well of your character.

We all make mistakes. This one now slides IMHO.

Cheers,
Nog

May your balls glow in the dark. :)

Nothing beats an epiphany. Apologies are hard to do. Congrats

Thanks guys.....very much appreciated. Looking forward to moving on and getting back to some fishing. I think I will leave the politics to those on the front lines.

-FB

Thanks for stepping up and offering an apology. It takes a lot to do this. It's great to see you have come around.

Looking forward to cracking a beer with ya one day and **** talkin' the ones who really deserve it.......dfo.

Cheers,
Dave

Dave, the first case is most definitely on me!

Jeff, PM Sent.

Thanks again.

I love it when we can all get along :). Awesome stuff:cool:. I fully expect to see you at the tuna shoot out Nick. Whether on your own boat or Darren's. You two make a great team. Myself and others will be majorly disappointed if other wise.

Last edited by a moderator:
good job fb,, welcome back to bamsterdam

Back