Fog ,Radar , Dying

Maybe it's just me, but if I was watching any ship approaching, knowing it was coming very close to where I was anchored, I would simply pull up anchor and get out of the way. But....that's just me.

I think you could find in in some cases, pulling your anchor would not be practical with a ship coming at you and the decision may not be as simple as it sounds. It takes considerable time to pull a deep water anchor system down 2oo to 300 feet, even in the best weather and mild current and could involve you actually powering towards the ship to pull the anchor. In some case you could end up with 600 to 800 hundred feet of rode and the ball on the surface but not retrieved and I would not want that snagged by a ship and then pulling your boat into it. Sometimes on rare occasion more than one attempt with variation in direction is necessary using motor power to release and pull the anchor.

Detaching from the anchor system and leaving it in place could be your best bet and them gunning your big motor. Some keep a serrated knife handy or a quick release system to cut themselves free in an emergency which may be faster than slower methods of detaching. You would have a mess of course as your fishing lines would still be down trailing your boat and could possibly end up tangled or even in your prop. In addition there are many ships out there, often going across the main east to west lanes going into harbour or to anchorage as well as tugs towing etc. Because of their size they often appear to be going slower than they are and can close distance quickly. In all but the most rare cases, they will pass you and not drive over you, but hard to tell till they are fairly close. I agree that it is better to be on the safer side and get out of the way earlier than later.

Last edited:
Get on the vhf, using proper language, and hail the ship.
Ask if they are going to return to the traffic lane or maintain their current heading outside vessel lane into the numerous anchored vessels.

Some of the scariest moments gillnetting the Fraser was when a deep sea would suddenly decide to move off the ranges.
I found that if you can establish communications, they will tell you their intentions in no uncertain terms.

Reminds me of a large American yatch that powered through the fishing fleet last summer by t10
Passed me 20 feet away doing 20kn when I had the right of way. His wake swamped my boat flooding us 6” deep
The loud thump he heard (after 5 horn blasts) was a 2 Lb Hali ball I threw as hard as I could
Might not be as effective with freighters but made me feel good

This is the second set of pictures HM has posted of ships passing very close to where he was anchored up. In this instance, as he said, visibility was to the horizon. I think rather than watching a ship approaching that close and taking pictures of it, airing on the side of caution would be to simply pull anchor and get out of the way. As much as I like halibut, I'm not going to risk getting run over just because I think I'm right. JMO.
Sorry doing as you said would most likely increase the danger of getting in trouble. Pulling anchor in JDF on a good tide is still an event to pay attention to. Having me move with 600+ ft of rode behind boat and across (you have to pull against current, look at pic) the approach of a large ship would be the DUMBEST move any small boat could do. From confirmation of ships distance and speed, then pull, full retrieve, this would take longer than the approaching ship closing and make them wonder WTH are you doing. Staying in position where the ship can get your exact position and vis is safest. They do pass by close but to date no contact with any rec fisher has been made. If a hit looks imminent yes I have quick release anchor and motor running for get out of dodge now action. My gut feeling is that A-Hole would then run over my anchor ball, (deliberately).

Most are missing my point on here. Rec fishers are not anchoring (in my case) where we are not supposed to. We were/are 2+ NM west of the outbound lane. 95% of traffic proceeds south safely miles away, then there are A-Hole ships (2 this year) that choose to transit thru the anchored fleet. WHY do they leave the safe lanes to transit thru the middle of an anchored fleet? Ship on same track and behind cable layer transited out in safe lane, why not cable guy? The Coho ferry transits over the western edge of Constance bank from Port Angeles to Vic many times daily NEVER has there been an issue, they ALWAYS go around and in the lanes. I spent 33+ years at sea, our CO's always picked a safe transit no matter where in the world we were. Safety of crew, vessel and others in always priority, we NEVER sailed thru an anchored fleet because we could.

I do like the new idea (to me) of next time asking Coast Guard on the correct channel why specific ship is doing such a dangerous course outside of lanes.

Lets hope the hali move so we can follow them elsewhere.

HM

Are there pilots on board the ships at that point? If so, might a call to their office provide some insight?

Just wondering.

Call Victoria Traffic, they should have tapes of the whole incident.

Are there pilots on board the ships at that point? If so, might a call to their office provide some insight?

Just wondering.
No pilots at this point, its always outbound after pilot has been dropped off. The few ships, (feels to me) drop pilot then a free for all hail Mary to get to open ocean. Cut the shipping lane corner to gain a few NM/Hour, except cable guy then turned east again to Port Angeles???? Back tracked ?? I think the odd master likes giving anchored rec fishers tight but???

HM

I think you could find in in some cases, pulling your anchor would not be practical with a ship coming at you and the decision may not be as simple as it sounds. It takes considerable time to pull a deep water anchor system down 2oo to 300 feet, even in the best weather and mild current and could involve you actually powering towards the ship to pull the anchor. In some case you could end up with 600 to 800 hundred feet of rode and the ball on the surface but not retrieved and I would not want that snagged by a ship and then pulling your boat into it. Sometimes on rare occasion more than one attempt with variation in direction is necessary using motor power to release and pull the anchor.

Detaching from the anchor system and leaving it in place could be your best bet and them gunning your big motor. Some keep a serrated knife handy or a quick release system to cut themselves free in an emergency which may be faster than slower methods of detaching. You would have a mess of course as your fishing lines would still be down trailing your boat and could possibly end up tangled or even in your prop. In addition there are many ships out there, often going across the main east to west lanes going into harbour or to anchorage as well as tugs towing etc. Because of their size they often appear to be going slower than they are and can close distance quickly. In all but the most rare cases, they will pass you and not drive over you, but hard to tell till they are fairly close. I agree that it is better to be on the safer side and get out of the way earlier than later.

Well said, if you are set up with an anchor system that allows you to release from it on a moments notice and move, it would take seconds to get off anchor. The ship could always run over your bouy, which is preferable to the alternative in my view. Anchoring for halibut is very dangerous and taking steps to plan ahead and develop a plan to manage the risks is always a wise approach IMO.

Well said, if you are set up with an anchor system that allows you to release from it on a moments notice and move, it would take seconds to get off anchor. The ship could always run over your bouy, which is preferable to the alternative in my view. Anchoring for halibut is very dangerous and taking steps to plan ahead and develop a plan to manage the risks is always a wise approach IMO.
after a few close call anchoring in jdf years ago,i never anchor anymore,i fish out of port Renfrew now mostly and drift instead,off bamfield and uky too,never have problem getting my hali,you snag a bit more gear but its better than snagging a 30lbs anchor + 50 feet of chain and 600ft of rode,the only time I anchor now is in a secluded bay with no swells or wind to chill and sleep lol.All the power to the warrior that do,but not for me.

I
I think the odd master likes giving anchored rec fishers tight but???

HM
I’m having a really hard time trying to follow your position and reasoning on this thread. However, I also don’t know where the “mud-hole” is. If you are 2 miles West of the traffic lane you must be South and slightly West of Race rocks?
Not to be a dick, but is there any chance you are confusing the separation zone with the lane? I’m measuring distances on the chart trying to understand where your talking about, but something is not adding up here.
In any event, really good advice from others to be monitoring vhf channel 11 traffic if North of the race rocks line, or vhf 05a if south of it. If you can’t hear the ships talking on traffic, then you can’t hope to understand what’s going on, or why they may be approaching your position. I guarantee you it has nothing to do with your tight butt.

The online boater exam has improved quite a bit at least. When I did it, me and my buddy were 19 years old, drunk on a Friday night, and decided for the hell of it to get our boating licenses. Zero studying and just wrote the test, passed, and away we go. We didn’t have much boating experience and were able to pass.

Now it’s mandatory that you have to spend some time to get through the course. I don’t know how many hours it winds up being but my fiancé did it a few years ago and spread it out over at least a few days. At least now you have to put some time in instead of just winging it like I did in regards to signage, right of way, etc.
Always a difference between being legal, qualified and compliant verses competent and experienced, paying attention, using common sense.

The courses should be set-up to help a person attain the 2nd condition as well - but time is always a consideration - and as the saying goes - "You can't fix stupid" - but we should still try - to protect the innocent if nothing else. And a SAR call uses resources = and everyone's time.

If you are earning $ in any way (e.g. guiding) - a Pleasure Craft Operator Card won't cut it. You need a SVOP. The courses don't stipulate restrictions by area (necessarily) to a boat operator - but the size (length) of a boat does limit where it can safely go - and then there's insurance requirements.

If your boat is more than 15 gross tonnage or 15 GRT or less that carries more than 12 passengers - the Vessel Certificates
Regulations SOR/2007-31 (extwprlegs1.fao.org/docs/pdf/can121052.pdf) applies. That sets-out “sheltered waters voyage” (less than 1nm from shore https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2007-31/page-3.html#h-15) verses the near coastal voyage definitions.

Your insurance provider should be familiar with these restrictions/regulations.

Then there's all the already posted valid & relevant comments wrt shipping lanes by other posters.

EVERYONE on the water should know where those shipping lanes are and avoid them and keep a radio on the channels to monitor traffic (chs 11 Victoria & Rupert, 71 Comox and Rupert, or 74 Vancouver & Tofino) as they call in at the call-in points on the charts and give ETAs to next call-in points. You should know what calling in points are near you (e.g. Figure 3-18, to Figre 3-20, p80-82; www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/folios/01224/docs/RAMN-2018-eng.pdf). If you are in or near the shipping lanes (typically cross quickly only at right angles if necessary) and monitor the AIS on screen and you can set up vicinity alarms for both radar and/or AIS.

All of this information (and more) is also tucked away in the online sailing directions: http://www.chs.gc.ca/publications/sailingdirections-instructionsnautiques-eng.asp

I do not have radar, wished I did a few times. I was hali fishing last weekend in the fog. There were lots of boats anchored around me in the Mud Hole, I heard many fog horns on ships, felt the wakes pass, I took pics and swore at a couple tankers, when fog lifted and we could see them, not sure if my aluminum top shows up as a contact for them. My question is; do the commercial huge tankers stay in the shipping lanes? The answer is NO, they were steaming right between all the anchored hali boats, VERY close to some anchor balls behind me. I was well over a mile NW of the shipping lanes according to my GPS plotter. I will ask Beamer to chime in on regs. I think this issue goes both ways, I am 100% sure us hali fishers were far from the outbound shipping lane yet ships passed in front and behind me and thru the hali fleet. WTH Sorry pic is flipped.

I have had large container ship change course & head right for me; just for fun I guess. The vessels were asian flagged

I think it’s funny that we fish in 20 foot boats around busy waterways of marine traffic and there are people out there who’s first reaction to a ship altering course towards them is that “It must have something to do with me!”

Perhaps “maybe I’m in his way” might be a safer methodology?

And they say millennials are narcissistic! Lol

I think it’s funny that we fish in 20 foot boats around busy waterways of marine traffic and there are people out there who’s first reaction to a ship altering course towards them is that “It must have something to do with me!”

Perhaps “maybe I’m in his way” might be a safer methodology?

And they say millennials are narcissistic! Lol
the little guy syndrome lol

Back