Fly fishing Kemp Lake (Sooke)

BrodieG

Just recently got into fly fishing still water and have had real hit or miss luck. Some days I get 10 fish in an hour and others nothing in 3-4 hours.

Just wondering what techniques work well this time of the year. What flies and what kind of line se to work?

Im setup with a nice 6 weight rod and reel and have an assortment of different lines (floating, intermediate, type 3 full sink, and a type 6 full sink)

I have a rigged 12 ft aluminum aswell as a float tube to fish from

Just recently got into fly fishing still water and have had real hit or miss luck. Some days I get 10 fish in an hour and others nothing in 3-4 hours.

Just wondering what techniques work well this time of the year. What flies and what kind of line se to work?

Im setup with a nice 6 weight rod and reel and have an assortment of different lines (floating, intermediate, type 3 full sink, and a type 6 full sink)

I have a rigged 12 ft aluminum aswell as a float tube to fish from

I used to fish Kemp lake a lot when I lived there. Try the along the cabins on the west side and by the lillies in the bay at the north end of the lake. I have had success trolling a full sink with black leech patterns and rolled muddlers. There are some very nice cutts in this lake.

I have heard of some nice cutties in that lake but havent gotten one yet. I will have to troll around the sink line nice and slow next time im out and see what it can produce.

Thanks for the tips! I would of thought maybe the intermediate line would of pulled some fish put the other day as there was a lot of surfce action in the morning. Guess fishing slow and deep is the way to go.

I find that fishing deep works in december to february, I have been fishing an intermidiate sink, about 2-3 inch per second.

kunni

I find that fishing deep works in december to february, I have been fishing an intermidiate sink, about 2-3 inch per second.

kunni

How do you fish the intermediate line in that lake? Troll real slow or just cast then countdown and strip it back in?

Reason I ask is im new to this stillwater fly fishing and any more specific techniques and info is awesome. Thanks!

How do you fish the intermediate line in that lake? Troll real slow or just cast then countdown and strip it back in?

Reason I ask is im new to this stillwater fly fishing and any more specific techniques and info is awesome. Thanks!

i usually go and stop for up to 30 seconds at a time, and then resume trolling - You can also cast, but trolling is gennerally more effective due to your line being in the water more often.

If you can locate the fish, what depth they are at, and what they're feeding on, cast and retrieve will work better, but as others have said, a slowly trolled fly with pauses, turns , changes in speed is a great place to start.

like Big Green Machine said, unless you can actually find fish it will be more effective to troll really slow.

kunni

Thanks for all the tips guys. Im going back out sunday morning in the float tube and do some nice slow trolling.

Well I fished for a few hours on saturday and got skunked on the fly rod! Tried trolling a few different patterns at all different depths and nothing! Ended up pulling out the spin gear and hammered 8 of them within an hour (10-12" nothing bigger)

Went out again today nice and early and dodnt get anything on the fly rod again! Went home and warmed up and ended up going back around 1 this time leaving the fly rod at home. Ended up landing atleast 15 on the spinning gear! Biggest was a big fat 15" that was about a pound and a half.

Back