Fly fishing Indicators.

Karma-Kazi

So i have recently been looking to buy some fly fishing indicators. Everyone keeps telling me to just use corkies. Ive looked at a few places. Eagle eye, Westshore (before it was closed), Wise buys, Canadian Tire. Nobody has indicators. Now I know i could just drive down town and buy them at outfitters. But i am no about going into town for a small piece of foam to float my fly. Then an idea came to me. All an indicator is is a small piece of foam with a toothpick. Hmmmmm

So I started looking around for supplies. I grabbed one of these :

FlyTyingandMakingIndicators008_zps317b88b9.jpg

And one of these :

FlyTyingandMakingIndicators009_zps36535e93.jpg

THen One of these:

FlyTyingandMakingIndicators011_zps63f50d41.jpg

And some of this stuff:

FlyTyingandMakingIndicators010_zpsee477dd3.jpg

FlyTyingandMakingIndicators012_zps21b9a96d.jpg

With a little bit of handy work with a knife and some paint and toothpicks I ended up with these to try:

FlyTyingandMakingIndicators013_zps1a5f825f.jpg

FlyTyingandMakingIndicators014_zpsfcf9629b.jpg

Some redneck fishing injinewity. LOL

Cheers KK

Nice work KK. Aside from a good battle with a fish the ingenuity you can tap into as an angler (and boat owner $$$) is one of my favourite parts of the sport. Countless hours just tying or re working the boat set up....

They look great. Will they release down your line when a fish hits. Otherwise you'll have to manually pull the toothpick out which can be tricky if you hook a hog.

200px-Mk7_supermushroom.jpg

Thingamabobbers with the pin attached are the only ones I use now. I don't have to worry about the indicator being at a fixed distance from the fly. Once the fish is on they just slide down. Use the smallest size for chironomids. I was shown them buy the guys at Fish Tales Fly Shop in Calgary when I out there fishing the Bow last summer. I get them on Ebay or from a myriad of online shops in Canada or the US.

Attachments

• thingamabobbers.jpg
    thingamabobbers.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 283
Headed out to Naniamo in a few, going to stop in Wholesale sports, pm me your number and ill text you if I find any to see if you want me to pick you a couple up.

Robinsons downtown also has lots of nice fly stuff.

THanks for the offer but upon further consideration. Im going to fine tune the homemade style. I am enjoying the building of flies and fly gear from scratch.

Really appreciate the offer though.

And the reason I dont use corkies is that most of the time they end up sinking on me after like 20-30 mins of use. And I cant find the big honkers either. so I will stick to making foam ones.

-KK

One of the best (little wind resistance) and the cheapest---small party balloons. Inflate to desired size, half hitch around the nozzle.

I know a guy who fishes circles around bait-guys with a yarn fly, one very small split-shot, and a balloon.

It's deadly.

Back