Flourocarbon vs. Monofilament

I am tying up some mooching leaders and am wondering if anyone has a preference between the two. I am thinking since flourocarbon is nearly invisible, and thinner I could use a heavier leader. But it does not stretch and I do not know if it would break easier when you have a fish at the side of the boat. I normaly use 25# test. Any feedback? Thanks in advance.

Fluorocarbon is quite stiff which is great for hoochies which will get a real snap off the flasher. The line also sinks like a stone as well as being almost invisible.

As you are using it for mooching, you don't need to worry about lack of stretch as there won't be something like a flasher to add inertia when a fish takes off. I used to mooch with no more than 12-pound test leader, usually 10-pound...unless you're really ham-fisted, it's gonna be really hard to break 25-pound test.

At the boat, be patient and loosen up your drag a bit. I wind the weight to the tip of my rod, but when I arch back to bring the fish close, I keep my fingers away from the reel handles, and only pinch the line against the cork for pressure.

That said, do you really want to pay the price premium for fluorocarbon line...salmon don't seem to be that fussy about any kind of leader if you're motor-mooching. Anchor mooching....another story...

I use 30 Fluro 8' behind a Hotspot w chovies..stealthy and it seems to put fish in the box when others are struggling..

it is expensive and not very forgiving..but, that's what those long rods and light drags are for...

my $.02

Cost is not my concern, and no I am not rich! When you look at spool cost the difference you would be talking are about pennies per leader. I am more concerned with it breaking. I would hate to have a nice big brite fish pop off at the end of a good hard fight. Thanks for the feedback!

I used that stuff for a while until I had it break off on a couple of big fish last year.
I back to using mono. Lesson learned. Could have been the brand I used or some other reason but mono has been proven to work here. Salmon are not leader shy so why use it.
GLG

ProfileatKitty-1.jpg

I tried it for a couple of seasons on my bait and hootchie leaders for a couple of different line strengths and did not see any difference in catch rates. I like it for fly fishing for trout but have switched back to Maxima Ultragreen for salmon.

I got to try Fluorocarbon for the whole weekend vs the mono. I will never use mono for leaders again. Maxima 25lb broke twice, fluorocarbon didn't break. Knots are incredibly strong.

victoriaboater what brand and test were you using? What knot are you comparing?
GLG

I cant recall the Brand. I'll check later if i think of it. But it was 25lb. I think if you have a decent rod you shouldn't be breaking line when you have all your main line on the reel.

I found it a real pain to tie with fluorocarbon- too stiff.What knots would you use with it?
I am still undecided as to which is better

Hooch

clearwater that's all I tie and it works perfect just snip the ends short it doesn't rip the chove, and hoochiebob you can tie all the same knots it's just a little harder but you'll get used to it, tighten all your knots in your mouth to cut down the friction or spit on them real good, and I use 40 and 50 may as well eh

Back