Florida keys

bryce

Crew Member
Thinking of planning a trip this spring primarily tarpon fishing.
Has anyone been down and rented a boat and had any luck.
Or some good charters and places to stay there would be awesome to know!
TIA
Bryce

We were down February 2 years ago right before Florida got slammed by Covid and all the cruise ships were parked offshore. We rented a place in Marathon for 4 days after we spent the week before in Orlando and Disney world. We flew into Orlando rented a car for our stay and drove to the Keys. The flight back was out of Miami so that saved several hours on our last day. My son and I did a couple of day charters but it was just reef fishing close by as it was fairly windy and apparently "COLD" lol We didn't target Tarpon but no shortage of all the local eaters. We took some of our catch to a local place that did cook what you catch style dinners. It was excellent and was more locals there than tourists and very friendly. Now back to your original question.....lol Islamorada is basically connected to Marathon and less than a few minutes down the road. It is supposed to be the center for any serious Tarpon fishermen. There are literally hundreds of guides working in that area and are able to do anything you need. Not much help on the Tarpon guide question but if you what any other tips for around there let me know. I fished Tarpon about 10 years ago now and it was out of Key Largo around Christmas time. They were smaller at that time and we mostly fished around the Mangroves so I think they were our version of feeders. Have Fun.....

Attachments

• Yellow Jack.jpg
    Yellow Jack.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 167
  • Mackeral.jpg
    Mackeral.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 159
  • Catch.jpg
    Catch.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 155
  • Cook Up.jpg
    Cook Up.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 152
  • Marina.jpg
    Marina.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 169
If you go to the Keys you must go to Pulley Ridge with the Twins. You will be Forum Famous.

ReelSlim is correct. It is a long drive down fly into Miami if possible . I have been to Key West twice on my motorcycle and once by car. Don't speed on the highway, they have these little Key Deer (endangered) and lots of radar to fund the local communities

If you are renting a boat you need to be comfortable running full bananas in water that is super shallow. I tried and could not wrap my head around it! Charters may be the way to go.

It’s been many years since I fished the keys (my favourite part of Florida). Although I’ve not fished Tarpon, I have fished other species including Barracuda, Cobia, Amber jack and King Mackeral. Most of my fishing was around Key West with Spear One. Included is the contact info if you are interested in going to Key West.
Have a great trip.
Stosh

Attachments

• 9EABF5B2-D298-4161-8E7C-83F4A059B3EA.png
    9EABF5B2-D298-4161-8E7C-83F4A059B3EA.png
    483.1 KB · Views: 13
We were down February 2 years ago right before Florida got slammed by Covid and all the cruise ships were parked offshore. We rented a place in Marathon for 4 days after we spent the week before in Orlando and Disney world. We flew into Orlando rented a car for our stay and drove to the Keys. The flight back was out of Miami so that saved several hours on our last day. My son and I did a couple of day charters but it was just reef fishing close by as it was fairly windy and apparently "COLD" lol We didn't target Tarpon but no shortage of all the local eaters. We took some of our catch to a local place that did cook what you catch style dinners. It was excellent and was more locals there than tourists and very friendly. Now back to your original question.....lol Islamorada is basically connected to Marathon and less than a few minutes down the road. It is supposed to be the center for any serious Tarpon fishermen. There are literally hundreds of guides working in that area and are able to do anything you need. Not much help on the Tarpon guide question but if you what any other tips for around there let me know. I fished Tarpon about 10 years ago now and it was out of Key Largo around Christmas time. They were smaller at that time and we mostly fished around the Mangroves so I think they were our version of feeders. Have Fun.....
Looks like a great trip thank you for the advice!! We Havnt decided anything at this point so any and all information is appreciated!!!

It’s been many years since I fished the keys (my favourite part of Florida). Although I’ve not fished Tarpon, I have fished other species including Barracuda, Cobia, Amber jack and King Mackeral. Most of my fishing was around Key West with Spear One. Included is the contact info if you are interested in going to Key West.
Have a great trip.
Stosh
Thank you!!
If you are renting a boat you need to be comfortable running full bananas in water that is super shallow. I tried and could not wrap my head around it! Charters may be the way to go.
ya was more or less an option never really thought of the shallows around there between that and the fishing success without one it’s probably best to hire some local knowledge

TIA
Bryce
you could try Ben Trainer - leatherneck fishing adventures
he is on FB

Not sure if you are set on the Florida Keys for chasing tarpon but I had the pleasure of fishing tarpon right out of Miami in December. We were fishing right in front of Miami Beach in a 16' skiff and landed 10 tarpon between 50 and 70 pounds. Lost at least another 10 as they sawed off the leader. They are leader shy so you can't really use steel leaders.
Absolutely crazy. I was sore for 2 days afterwards. It was cold and there wasn't anyone else fishing. We were literally fishing right in front of the buoys that denoted the swimming area on Miami Beach. If that is an option for you, PM me and I will send you the guides info.

Attachments

• IMG_0806.jpeg
    IMG_0806.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 55
If you want detailed info you could have a look at The Hull Truth...lots of guys from the Keys on that site....probably lots of info on tarpon guides etc. They’re usually helpful as long as you don’t betray liberal political leanings ...ha ha

Get in Contact with Ben at Leatherneck. He used to guide up here for steelhead, sturgeon and salmon on the Fraser and surrounding area. He’s good ****.

Not sure if you are set on the Florida Keys for chasing tarpon but I had the pleasure of fishing tarpon right out of Miami in December. We were fishing right in front of Miami Beach in a 16' skiff and landed 10 tarpon between 50 and 70 pounds. Lost at least another 10 as they sawed off the leader. They are leader shy so you can't really use steel leaders.
Absolutely crazy. I was sore for 2 days afterwards. It was cold and there wasn't anyone else fishing. We were literally fishing right in front of the buoys that denoted the swimming area on Miami Beach. If that is an option for you, PM me and I will send you the guides info.
Like I said don’t have anything set in stone more or less looking for somewhere warm with big fish the easier to get to the better
Get in Contact with Ben at Leatherneck. He used to guide up here for steelhead, sturgeon and salmon on the Fraser and surrounding area. He’s good ****.

I’ll fire him a message thank you!

I know some guys that go to Tampa Bay to target big Tarpon on the fly.

TIA
Bryce
Crystal River: This is a great for tarpon in west-central Florida shallow waters and lots of baitfish make it a great place to catch tarpon. need to be fishing May June DONT listen to some of the charters down there lots of good but some hopeless and will just take the money and you will catch nothing

I know some guys that went to Tampa bay a few times and did well on the tarpon. They did say it was a gong show with all the boats

I know some guys that went to Tampa bay a few times and did well on the tarpon. They did say it was a gong show with all the boats
Its a great place in Tampa Bay for tarpon it is on a level with the keys and everglades. The charters are mainly pretty crap I won't name but some just pile the boats up with far too many anglers and some boats only experience is they know how to operate a boat but know jack about where to fish

Back