Flashers - suggestions

That's why the old commercials used red and green hotspots
almost exclusively
Or did they use those colours as those were the only ones available? Serious question. Other than Abe & Al flashers (and dodgers as another option), I remember red and green Hot Spots with the silver mylar being the only options as a kid. Definitely the only ones we had in our tackle box. Maybe red blades were the old-school version of black since red light only penetrates to about 30 ft (vs green to ~120 ft max)?

I think the colour / finish is of secondary/tertiary importance. More important is is the acoustic signature created by the flasher, followed by the action on the gear and visual flash. That hasn’t stopped me from acquiring a drawer full of different ones, but it’s 20% of them that get used 80% of the time. Ultimately, all the new finishes that come out every year are designed to catch fisherman first and fish second.

the red flasher with silver tape still gets used a lot here in CR fishing in 250’ plus of water which lends credence to CB squareds statement about vibration being more important than colour.

having said that i’m a huge fan of the glow herring aid flasher; and the all black with glow tape on one side and moon jelly on the other.

the red flasher with silver tape still gets used a lot here in CR fishing in 250’ plus of water which lends credence to CB squareds statement about vibration being more important than colour.

having said that i’m a huge fan of the glow herring aid flasher; and the all black with glow tape on one side and moon jelly on the other.
Or maybe the flasher did nothing at all

I also think the flasher's action is the most important factor. I have found that in murky waters such as Jdf of Fraser mouth that flashers in general are a successful attractor.

I think it's more a "state-of-mind" ;)
What's the brand / colour of that wonderful plastic?
Officially it's a Squid skirt from Yo-zuri. Northern Pacific makes one very similar shape, both have the white/glitter colour available. With all the covid supply chain mayhem, Yo-Zuri have listed the entire squid pattern lineup as Discontinued. Hopefully they return after things settle down.

There is a mottled brown colour that is often referred to as a turd. I've seen them in Octopus and Squid patterns from Yamashita and Yo-Zuri.

Drop everything, go on the net and buy some of these they are KILLER!

dreamweaver-spin-doctor-12-flasher-uv-uv-crush-glo.jpg
This is my favorite flasher as well. I use the 8". Still lots of action, less drag. Seemingly has less "release" when it hits the surface.
Spindoctor.

I'm going flasher-less more often than not,
and it doesn't seem to make much difference.
Flashers may load the tub up faster (sometimes) but it sure sucks pulling them up. I bet on fish under 10 lbs, the flasher is 2/3 the fight. I loose more fish with a flasher. When fishing's good, I'll troll with dummy or without a flasher at all.

Green onion (UV green stripe) and UV Purple Haze are my go to for spring, and red old school. I don’t fish the small flashers like some swear by.

In Nanaimo these are the two I use all the time this spring/summer. Worked great for me View attachment 71294

The black one is glow on the other side.
That spoon is awesome. We call it the nootka spoon. This year on it we got a 20,23,17,19, and overall out produced all my other spoons. It's an ap spoon. Called the depth charge or MVP or something. We were two days into a slow nootka trip. I put one down after hours of nothing on. Bam it got all the fish.

That spoon is awesome. We call it the nootka spoon. This year on it we got a 20,23,17,19, and overall out produced all my other spoons. It's an ap spoon. Called the depth charge or MVP or something. We were two days into a slow nootka trip. I put one down after hours of nothing on. Bam it got all the fish.
Is that the sand lance or anchovie version AP?

Back