Flashers & hoochies for lakers

We're heading to Moose Lake in Mount Robson Provincial Park in a couple weeks and I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on using flashers and hootchies for lakers. I've read guys use this setup on the Great Lakes for lakers, but can't find any info as to whether this effective out west.

Sent from my iPad when I should be fishing.

We took a trip to the Yukon a number of years back. I didn't know anything about fishing for Lakers so I just put the salmon gear on and gave it a try. Flashers, dodgers, spoons and the likes. It all worked pretty well for me.
Dave

There are rainbows, whitefish & kokanee in Moose lake. Given what I've seen success with in the NWT, I'd be running 4 & 5" plugs in patterns to reflect those prey species - off the wire and watching the sounder of course.

Good Luck!
Nog

Like Nog says, my buddy targets them successfully with 4 inch Tomic plugs. No flasher, off the downrigger.

Thanks for the replies, guys ! I do have a great selection of large plugs, so I'll definitely be trying them as well.

Sent from my iPhone when I should be fishing.

When we would fish for them we would fun a large 5 diamonds spoon but would take the hook off the back and put it on the front then tie your line to the fat end. When things where slow
we always caught a fish or two. And like dogbreath say's SLOW.

Take some frozen herring and very slow troll.
Largest laker I ever caught was with banana weight and cut plug in the NWT.

Take some frozen herring and very slow troll.
Largest laker I ever caught was with banana weight and cut plug in the NWT.

Ya, I've caught some large lakers up north years ago with herring, but unfortunately, the use of fin fish for bait is prohibited now.

I caught my biggest one to date here in Kelowna on Kal lake pulling a green flasher with a 2ft leader and then a green and white coyote spoon. We also jig for them a lot once we have found them and that seems to work great. We use the large/wide buzzbombs.

We fished with them in the North with a 6" white apex trolled off the DR in the spring and a 6" chrome one in the late summer/fall. Also caught them on 6" 232 tomics, 5" Canadain Wigglers and 50/50 wonder spoons.

Don't fish them with flashers, really no need. They work well, but they take away the fight. Lakers are not the greatest fighters, so the less stuff on the line, the more fun they are.

At this time of year, they will be in the deeper holes in the lake. We then fished them with 4" buzz bombs and zingers in the clown pattern (white w/red and yellow on the bottom end) or blue pearl. Get rid of the treble and put on a 4/0 single hook, better hook ups. You will need a good sounder as lakers can suspend themselves at any depth, so you need to look for them.

Good luck

Cheers

SS

I appreciate all the advise guys. We're headed to Moose Lake tomorrow for 4 days, so I'll be putting lots of these tips to use.

Back