Purchased a boat, no gear - what to get? Maybe a fun thread..

2014... Nice. Is the new design. Sweet little boat. I have fished in my cousins and really like it. Lots of room.

2014... Nice. Is the new design. Sweet little boat. I have fished in my cousins and really like it. Lots of room.

Yeah loving it so far, and it's only been out on the lake. I can tell it's going to be a great multi-purpose boat. New design is nice, no wood and self-bailing is a major plus. I'm not sure how they rate it for 7 people (they rate these things like tents??), but 2-3 guys fishing I think it'll be great. I wonder if Campion makes a drop curtain for it's bimini setup or if I have to find someone that can make me one.

Remaining safety equipment will be acquired tomorrow and will start looking at rods/reels/tackle. I've been looking at tackle bags and a coworker of mine has a great one but I can't find anything like it anywhere, either too big or just not a good setup. He stuffed quite a few flashers, hoochies etc.. in that and it was well organized and compact.

First thing is to get a second (and maybe 3rd) credit card.
Then off to Trotac, Island Anglers, West Marine, Wise Buys.
Look for the Canada Safe Boating Guide, it will list all required safety gear.
Have fun.

Think about getting a PLB (beacon) as well. You can't have too much safety gear. I also carry a backup hand held compass in case my helm mount fails. Binoculars while not essential are a nice feature.

definitely an organized jump kit...small light,hand held vhf, whistle..etc..

Yeah loving it so far, and it's only been out on the lake. I can tell it's going to be a great multi-purpose boat. New design is nice, no wood and self-bailing is a major plus. I'm not sure how they rate it for 7 people (they rate these things like tents??), but 2-3 guys fishing I think it'll be great. I wonder if Campion makes a drop curtain for it's bimini setup or if I have to find someone that can make me one.

Remaining safety equipment will be acquired tomorrow and will start looking at rods/reels/tackle. I've been looking at tackle bags and a coworker of mine has a great one but I can't find anything like it anywhere, either too big or just not a good setup. He stuffed quite a few flashers, hoochies etc.. in that and it was well organized and compact.

Have you checked where the discharge scuppers are located for your self bailing deck. I have an older 602 and mine are at or slightly below the waterline. Still trying to think of a solution for that, maybe not as big of a problem if your boat isn't moored for an extended period?

Mine are close but not below. Won't be mooring it ever, trailering all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you checked where the discharge scuppers are located for your self bailing deck. I have an older 602 and mine are at or slightly below the waterline. Still trying to think of a solution for that, maybe not as big of a problem if your boat isn't moored for an extended period?
I had a 602 and found black rubber plugs at Rona that fit the scuppers holes perfectly. I only took them out when washing down the deck.

A radar reflector is never inappropriate. Obviously fog and low/no light conditions are where they come into their own, but you might be surprised how quickly small boats "disappear" in the glaring sun as well. In the unlikely event :)rolleyes:) another vessel may not be paying close attention but do have their radar proximity alarms on, a reflector may help avoid a close quarters situation.
Although it doesn't improve the look of your small boat, it's a pretty cheap way to make sure your seen around our busy waterways.

Last edited by a moderator:
A radar reflector is never inappropriate. Obviously fog and low/no light conditions are where they come into their own, but you might be surprised how quickly small boats "disappear" in the glaring sun as well. In the unlikely event :)rolleyes:) another vessel may not be paying close attention but do have their radar proximity alarms on, a reflector may help avoid a close quarters situation.
Although it doesn't improve the look of your small boat, it's a pretty cheap way to make sure your seen around our busy waterways.
Apologies for the thread hi-jack...........TugCapitan, what is your experience with radar reflection of glass boat with hard tops on Aluminum frames? Decent bounce back or nearly invisible? I ask because I have one of those sh*tty tube radar reflectors, but it is weathered cracked and broken and quite honestly I am not sure it adds much more than the 1 1/2 aluminum tubing on my hard top. Just curious if you can see boats like mine. On my Furuno radar I seem to be able to pick them up quite well and when I get near them I confirm they have no reflectors on top. Just thought I would ask for an expert opinion ;-)

Back