Fixed kicker bracket

slaydown

Hey all,
I am having the kicker mount dilemma. Fixed or adjustable. I have heard all the pros and cons and I think a fixed is probably the way to go I have two questions though. First, I have a 9.9 4 stroke suzuki long shaft and wont it even tilted all the way up ride in the water and second does anybody out there know where I can get a good fixed bracket over here on the mainland.
Cheers

Had an adjustable bracket on my Kencraft years ago for a 6hp Evinrude , that bracket clanked and wobbled and was a pain in the *** .
Go for a fixed one , IMO it is sturdier and will do want you want it for , I don't think your kicker will drag once you are up and planing.

AL

Fixed here 2
cheers

gonefishingsign.gif

I've had both and definitely go fixed. The kicker may be a little in the water when you first give er but once you're up on plane its completely out.

go for the fixed I had a adjustable one for 9.9 high thrust and it broke in two years. I got a advanced marine one. awesome I think stevenston marine or just google the name. get a prop guard when there to.

I have had both. Depending on the size of your boat 20 ft or over i would go with a fixed, just because if the motor is not far back enough it will drag and spray water everywhere. If you don't care about that then go with a fixed. My ajustable just broke after 5 yrs and was on long before i bought the boat. I bought a new 4 stroke ajustable bracket, just because i don't want it to drag. No it's not as good but it is out of the water. Also with a fixed you have to get the height just right the first time, a one shot deal. Unless you like filling holes.

Tournament Proven !

Rym Propeller in Richmond built one for me. They did a good job and they powdercoat them.

I have a fixed hydraulic (in or out, up or down). In the up position it is still a bit in the water until on plane. A quick tug with a grunt on the tiller handle (4 stroke 9.9 Evi) pulls it up from the down position. It's a pain to tilt it up if I want it out of the chuck. I bought the boat second hand and the broker sold me the kicker, so I don't know if the previous owner had a short or long shaft.....Terry

Campbell River: Ex "Salmon Capital of the World".....I hope not.......Terry

21' Monaro

Fixed is the way to go on a larger boat, but then you'll probably be wanting tilt and trim (an expensive addition).
For a smaller boat, adjustable gives more options for positions.
Look at how far overboard you will be leaning to help you decide.
I just looked at this issue and went for an adjustable mount (16' boat).
As Fins said, if you go fixed, measure twice before mounting.
If mounting yourself, cut a piece of 1x2 20" long (length of a long shaft from underside of mounting bracket to cavitation plate) and tape or clamp to bracket with top of stick at top of bracket.
Use this to gauge height for mounting bracket.
Cavitation plate is usually set level or +/- 1" of bottom of hull, but others may have a better idea of this.
Good luck.

I have a 19.5ft Bayliner. I have an adjustable bracket on my boat. I purchased a heavy bracket for my 9.9. It is spring loaded and very easy to lift up and down with the kicker on it.

Bayliner004.jpg

I would like to thank all for your replies and they have been most helpfull. My boat is a 17ft calais and I think even though I would prefer not to I have to get the heavy duty garelick. Thanks again
Cheers, Slaydown

I have the exact bracket for sale, its just missing the plastic plate. I used it on my fixed bracket I had built. I believe the plastic you can get for around thirty to forty bucks. The bracket was only on for two trips in fresh water.

Seems to have answered original question, so I guess I won't be guilty of hijacking the thread.

Jamaf, I put the same bracket on, (with a 8 Yamaha), but it doesn't seem to want to go to the last notch when lowering.
Does yours?
Thanks

quote:Jamaf, I put the same bracket on, (with a 8 Yamaha), but it doesn't seem to want to go to the last notch when lowering.
Does yours?
Thanks

Time
Yes mine goes all the way to the bottom easy.

Hmmm
Wonder why the difference.
I have to press down to get to the second lowest notch.

quote:Originally posted by ichthyoid

quote:Originally posted by alesnloggers

I bought a fixed bracket from this guy:http://nanaimo.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-kicker-brackets-W0QQAdIdZ39924370
He's in Royston. Best price I found and seems well made.
I don't like (trust) the adjustable brackets.

Looks like a good product. What does the price difference get you? I can't tell from the small photo.
Small
10”wide
12 ½” out from transom
10”mounting pad from transom
3”x10”x1” UMHW pad
Large

12 3/8”wide
17 ¼” out from transom
10” mounting pad from transom
4”x12”X1”UMHW
He has some better pics if you need them. I did have to add a thicker piece of UMHW as the clamps on my Yamaha wouldn'd do up enough.
Dave

Back