Five Nations Injunction

For better or worse there was no internet when many of my relative down here in WA were slowly shut-down a long time ago.

The 5 FN's want more, DFO says BS to that. Been going on for year & if it's like the 1974 decision down here in WA will be going on for generations to come. A lot of people down here probably never got over it but they were w/o internet & mostly dead & gone.
Point of clarification; many WA commercial salmon fishermen bought permits in Alaska and went north to fish salmon after the 1974 Boldt Decision. Many still commute every year and fish salmon commercially to this day. No such opportunities available in Canada.

I don’t no about banning non residents but I have always thought that non residents should be guided only . ie meaning they can only fish if they are guided.

Spend some time up in port Hardy in July and you will understand why.

If they ain’t being guided the rap and pillage ain’t worth the economic gain.

I don’t no about banning non residents but I have always thought that non residents should be guided only . ie meaning they can only fish if they are guided.

Spend some time up in port Hardy in July and you will understand why.

If they ain’t being guided the rap and pillage ain’t worth the economic gain.
well, if it's a problem, maybe D.F.O enforcement should be doing a better job. If there's an opportunity for non-residents to fish, it should be STRICTLY policed.

Treble hooks are amazing!

As usual for you. What is amazing is your talent for posting these one-line smart-butt remarks that add no value to the conversation, waste admin's disk space, & make life difficult for those of us scrolling thru all the BS on here looking for something of value. Are you looking to up your number of posts or do you just need to get the last word in all conversations - get a life.

Cry-baby whining?? I guess you are entitled to your own opinion.

Not directed at you at all; sorry for the mis-understanding. That's why I put it in a different paragraph.

I have been fishing WCVI since the mid 80's had my boat moored at Uki/Tofino for 6 years or so. Back then we were hearing that BC had a goal to reduce/eliminate commercial fishing due to the economic benefits of sports versus commercial. I was quite surprised at the reversal in direction a couple decades back.

Down here my family was in commercial fishing going back to the 1930's. As mentioned in the data you posted, it's been sports gets priority for Chinook/Coho, commercial on all the others. It's that way down here as well going back decades before the tribal/FN issues surfaced beginning in the mid 70's down here. Down here beginning back in the late 70's trolling was a hobby school teachers & a few others did for the 5 day or so season.

Chinook catches began declining in the 1880's going on 150 years ago. I have seen some incredible and sad declines in the time I have been fishing - Columbia River Summer run was so hot many days we never got a second rod in the water at South Bank/Portland Point with easy 4 fish limits. The huge white Springs off Ucluelet in the 2000's either gone or as reported 40 miles offshore down 400 feet feeding on Sardines. One day just south of Wya we were doubled up on 40's & 3 other boats in sight were doubled up on 40's as well. That same year I guy I used to fish with had so many (32 fish 2 day limit for 4 anglers) they had to ice-up the bed of the truck (sadly most were wasted due to this AH's lack of taking care of his catch). These are gone - sure a few a year are caught but you should have seen the cleaning station back at the dock (then the Bayshore) back then. (BTW I caught every one of them on a treble hook back then).

I used to camp with a family on Quadra Island back in the 80's - son was a biologist for DFO. The limit on the inside had just gone from 4 to 2. He said the only reason the limit was still 4 on the outside was "they are all US fish". Back then the guides from Bayshore thought the fish being caught at the Big Bank were Barkely Sound fish - turns out they are mostly Puget Sound fish.

Draw your own conclusions - I don't see this turning around for decades if ever & the catch division will remain similar.

As usual for you. What is amazing is your talent for posting these one-line smart-butt remarks that add no value to the conversation, waste admin's disk space, & make life difficult for those of us scrolling thru all the BS on here looking for something of value. Are you looking to up your number of posts or do you just need to get the last word in all conversations - get a life.

I was just illustrating the fact that when you all all over these forums whining and complaining about barbed hooks or Canadians catching all the Washington fish its okay. However, when someone post something that you do not like or agree with then you resort to tell them them they are complaining.

Not much comment on here but I believe they had an opening already. I don't think they will be successful in the argument based on this. From a judges perspective it does show DFO did make an effort to included.

Not much comment on here but I believe they had an opening already. I don't think they will be successful in the argument based on this. From a judges perspective it does show DFO did make an effort to included.

So far in Canada Judges have refused to comment on how much quota should be allocated to each sector. Most of their rulings have just been based on prioity. I agree in this case, They have the prioity allocation and fished it.

I would be very surprised if they will get a judge to commit to what % of fish should be allocated to them

That being said i hope the groups that represent the public fishery are not ignoring this.

Last edited:
So far in Canada Judges have refused to comment on how much quota should be allocated to each sector. Most of their rulings have just been based on prioity. I agree in this case, They have the prioity allocation and fished it.

I would be very surprised if they will get a judge to commit to what % of fish should be allocated to them

That being said i hope the groups that represent the public fishery are not ignoring this.

Nope they aren't ignoring it very much engaged right now.

I was just illustrating the fact that when you all all over these forums whining and complaining about barbed hooks or Canadians catching all the Washington fish its okay. However, when someone post something that you do not like or agree with then you resort to tell them them they are complaining.

Next time i post a one-line smart butt remark like you (treble hooks are amazing) let me know. Learn the difference between an opinion and a smart-butt remark.

Hey WMY, does Eric get the nod for grumpy old man on the forum and you guys can give me a break :) Lets hope Derby and Searun can do good on this, thanks for the effort guys, a big thumbs up from the Jackel...Now that i have pulled the boat i will be writing more letters and who knows maybe they will run another one of my letters, here's hoping

Hey WMY, does Eric get the nod for grumpy old man on the forum and you guys can give me a break :) Lets hope Derby and Searun can do good on this, thanks for the effort guys, a big thumbs up from the Jackel...Now that i have pulled the boat i will be writing more letters and who knows maybe they will run another one of my letters, here's hoping

Lol the grumpy old man comment was in reference to your alter ego who slings weights around lol. As for Eric apparently he was dosed with agent orange so i gotta give him some slack.

Apparently I still have much to be desired when it comes to my jackass one liners. I guess i should of learned when my mom broke a wooden spoon on my butt.

Last edited:
We all know that it won't be a single sector who saves us, it will be all fishing sectors working together who will find the solution that in the end works best for everyone - when it happens, we'll all know. In the mean while two sectors will continue down the diminished trail that DFO has created in 2019. It will get a whole lot worse before it gets better, no thanks to the PMO's office and all that it has done this year to interfere and obstruct and diminish quality of life for so many people and at the total expense of west coast families and individuals and business. SAD, but REAL.

All the people I know up the ranks in the sport sectors, The ones that make the decisions would love to work with all sectors and do their best to try to make it happen.

Last edited:
Back