Fishing south end of Cowichan Lake

Sea Ranger

Hi to everyone.... I have been fishing up at Cowichan lake in November for the last 6 years and every year has been good fishing around Shaw and Nixon etc.... However this year I found out that we will be staying at the south end of the lake at Lakeview Campground. My question is what areas should I be fishing down at the south end? Was going to be fishing 3 to 4 inch plugs at about 12 to 20 feet on the downriggers looking for Cutties. If anyone has some ideas or hot spots I could try that they think might be better, Please let me know. Thanks Steve.

SB?

You'll find that pretty much everywhere on the lake is fished the same to a certain extent. I tend to fish up to 80' with the same 4-6" plugs and do well. Fish the dropoffs, flats ,rivermouths, etc.There are fish to be found at most locations. Some of my best spots are out in the middle of nowhere land. Almost like Hali fishing. I'll find a pinnacle and work it all day and continually hit fish.

If you have fished it for six years and done well than you'll have no problems at the south end.

ill be heading up in a few weeks to hit the south part of the lake,
i was up at the same time last year and hit a few using the d/rigers at 40 odd feet and a few just trailing a plug on the surface, i was at the west shore fishing shop last weeek picking up new plugs an i seen the artificial fish(like the ones for salmon) teaser head an all, but i didnt pick them up. mabe i will
has anyone had any luck with these baitrix fish??

iscootblue.png

Yeah, there are a few items that work wonders off the downriggers.
......as an alternative to the plugs that is.

Hey Baz.... are you in the King Cutthroat Derby on Nov 7,8 and 9th? Thats when I'll be up there. Let me know if you will be there then too. Thanks...... Steve.

really!!
are you feeling the need to throw me a bone>??
apart from plugs?

an fishinfool ill be up on the 15th for a yearly friends derby,
if your gonna be up then let me know
baz
quote:Originally posted by highlights

Yeah, there are a few items that work wonders off the downriggers.
......as an alternative to the plugs that is.

iscootblue.png

Sorry Baz, Going to be up there a week before you. Going up on the 6th and coming home on the 10th. I'll let you know how we made out if you like. Steve.

Hmmmm, let me see. Man I can't let it out that easily. LOL

Hey was thinking of heading up sometime over the next couple of weekends my self.

How are you guys making out up that way lately?

Hey Highlights, Come on.... spill the beans. ...lol. Let us know what you like to run off the downrigger. I do have the new Baitrix lure and I will be trying it out.... first at about 10 to 15 feet deep then maybe fish the narrows at about 40 feet deep and hope I get one.... see how easy that was....lol. Now, what would you try Highlights? Will you be up at the south end on the 6th 7th 8th or 9th? If you are up there then, keep an eye out for me and say hi. I will be in a 17 foot Arima with a full size burgandy top.

The time has come.... I'm leaving to go to Cowichan tomorrow. I've got my plugs and my gloves...lol. I will be up at Lakeview campground if anyone else from this site will be up there at the same time make sure to say hi. I hope to see you up there..... and will report back to this site when we get back.... happy fishing to all.... and remember.... keep your tip up.

hey fishin fool
good luck for the weekend, let me know how you got on...
an highlights commmmmme onnn.. spill the beans ive got a whole 40 bucks to win with the 2 heaviest fish,.....

any info would be appriciated

iscootblue.png

So.....how did you guys make out? I didn't get a chance to get up that way. The Striper is in at Sherwood getting the 100 hour service on my Yami's. Maybe in the weeks to come. From what I hear though , the stamp is on fire for summers. May just have to get the jet dusted off.

well guys,
both kids got really sick so im not heading up.
seeing a 5 month old who canbarly breath kinda puts a damper on things.
mabe next year

how did you do fishin fool

iscootblue.png

Well, if you were in my boat you wouldn't have missed much...lol. We did manage to catch a few fish. My buddy got 2 nice ones but not nice enough to win the derby and I got one small cuttie with a giant leech hanging off of him.... let the fish go but not the leech. Weather wise it rained a lot but we knew that was going to happen.... the new boat worked great. Fished from one end of the lake to the other end. We got our fish in the narrows. The derby winner was 48 cm long and weighed in at 3 lbs 7 ounces ... a real fat boy. Think I'll stick closer to home and maybe go out for a winter spring in the up coming weeks. All in all a great weekend. Steve.

Well sounds like you had some fun nonetheless. That was no leech. lamprey are a protected species in the entire Cowichan system. I do the fish a favour however and detach the ugly suckers. Can't bear to think of those things while I am skiing slalom in the summer. Eeeeewh!

Hi all,

Just curious, I've launched my car topper many times from Gordon's Bay, but wanted to drop in a larger boat. The Cowichan Lake Marina is closed for the season (according to the phone message). Can one still use the ramp?? or know of any others that have a dock along side??

not to sure if you can still use the launch there, but if not there's a public launch almost right across the lake from it thats open all year, I will do a drive by for ya after work tommorow, its on my way

Back